chapter four

It was eight minutes past seven and Magnus still hadn't shown up at the restaurant. Alec was beginning to think that he wasn't coming and that he'd been stood up. At ten minutes past though, Magnus appeared, looking nervous.

"I'm so sorry, I got stuck in traffic. I didn't mean to be late." Magnus said breathlessly, desperately trying to avoid a lecture.

"It's okay. New York traffic is horrible at this time of evening. I ordered a water to start with, come sit down and choose what you want to eat. Everything is on me by the way." Alec explained kindly, gesturing to the seat opposite him. Magnus was shocked, he'd expected to get yelled at for being late.

"Thank you... So, you're a lawyer correct?" Magnus asked him hesitantly in an attempt at small talk.

Alec answered his question with a smile and they continued to talk and get to know one another better. Magnus learned that Alec had always wanted to be a lawyer after watching too many crime dramas as a kid. And Alec learned that Magnus was out of work at the moment but he was looking for a job where he got to work with children (he loves kids so it was the perfect area of work for him). Alec revealed that he is twenty-four and Magnus responded that he's twenty-two.

They talked the whole time they ate and Magnus was actually easing up around Alec. They ate their meals and shared an ice cream sundae dessert between them.

"You're so interesting, Magnus. I really like you. I'm enjoying getting to know more about you." Alec explained softly to him as they finished the ice cream.

"No one's ever said that to me before... hey umm, Alec, could you hold my hand?" Magnus asked nervously, he was terrified but at the same time, it felt right.

"Of course." Alec responded lovingly, gently taking Magnus' hand, lightly rubbing his thumb across the other man's fingers, trying to make this less scary.

His attempt worked because Magnus became more relaxed whilst Alec was holding his hand here in the restaurant on their date.

"Do you want to stay here or go for a walk?" Alec asked him gently, because both options were perfectly fine with him.

"Can we go for a walk?" Magnus asked hesitantly, not wanting to have an opinion on their actions.

"Of course we can, there's a little park nearby and it's usually pretty quiet." Alec responded with a soft smile, helping Magnus relax even more.

Alec called the waiter over to their table in order to pay the bill and then they put their jackets back on before heading out of the restaurant and Alec led them through some pathways to a small, secluded park that was peaceful and magical in the nighttime.

"Magnus, would you let me hold your hand as we walk?" Alec asked him softly. Magnus was still quite hesitant but he knew that Alec was gentle and kind despite his intimidating appearance.

Magnus said nothing as a response and just held his hand towards Alec and the older man cautiously took his hand and laced their fingers together as they walked together through the park. They continued the smalltalk throughout the evening and they both actually really liked eachother before the sun fully slipped out of sight.

"Alec, I am starting to have feelings for you." Magnus nervously confessed once they were back at his car after Alec had walked him back.

"Magnus, me too. I know you're scared of this. I won't ever intentionally hurt you, I promise. If you decide that you would like to see me again, it'll be just like tonight, your pace, okay?" Alec explained gently to him, still holding his hand gently.

"I would like to see you again." Magnus confirmed, looking into Alec's eyes with a sparkle, a little glimmer of hope that Alec hadn't seen before.

"Alright, I'll text you. Can I kiss your cheek, as a goodbye?" Alec asked softly, not wanting Magnus to leave without a little affection.

"Sure." Magnus reluctantly agreed but all reluctance was forgotten once Alec very softly kissed his cheek and then opened his car door for him. He was definitely chivalrous and treated Magnus right.

Once Magnus had pulled away from the car park, Alec got in his own car and headed the opposite direction towards his own apartment. He definitely made sure to tell Isabelle all about it when he got back home, after all this was her idea.

-

Alec
Izzy, you were right.
I do really like him.

Isabelle
Your date with Magnus went
well then I take it?

Alec
Very.
We got food at Breadstix and
then I took him to our secret
spot nearby and guess what?
We even held hands

Isabelle
Alec, are you sure he wanted that?
It's a big step for him.

Alec
He asked me to hold his hand
whilst we were in the restaurant
and it kind of just stayed that way
the whole night.

Isabelle
He just texted saying you kissed
his cheek as a goodbye?
That's another huge step.
He's terrified of letting someone
get too close to him in a
romantic sense.

Alec
He was okay with it.
He seemed a little nervous but
eased up once he realised it was
okay. He gave me explicit
permission so it was all okay.
I didn't force him to do anything he wasn't comfortable with.

Isabelle
I knew you'd treat him right.
And you got feelings from the
date too. Just call me Cupid.

Alec
I will not be doing that.
Goodnight Isabelle.

-

And before he went to bed later that night, Alec received a text message from Magnus reading: 'I really enjoyed tonight, thank you for showing me a good time, I'm looking forward to our second date :)'

And Alec smiled, knowing Magnus felt the same way he did. Even if it could take a little longer than a normal relationship because of Magnus' traumatic experience. But, to Alec, Magnus was worth it, he would do anything.

He was willing to wait as long as he had to. Magnus was definitely worth it.

-

[1032 Words]