You Know I Love You Right?

Start from the beginning

    "Um... She's working here as well... I think maybe wait a while before you can talk to her again, she's adjusting just the same as I am, and we have a lot of lost time to make up for mum." I tell her, trying not to sound as down as the words make me feel.

    "She won't talk to you will she?" She asks me, and I should have known better than to even try lying to her.

    "She will... She just... It's like I said, it's an adjustment, and... and there's a lot of things left unsaid, a lot she doesn't know, and a lot I missed... A lot of stuff I know I should have been there for, and... and I don't know if there's any fixing this." I tell her my truthful thoughts.

    "You know that's the last thing I want to hear. There's more time left for the two of you, and there's more pages to this story... I want to hear her voice again. I miss Scarlett." She tells me, and I almost tell her I do too, but I hold my tongue.

    "I know mum. I promise I'll work on it with her... I love you, I have to get back to work now." I tell her, despite the fact that I'm actually about to leave and finish up the rest at home.

    "Get some sleep. Call me when you can, I love you." She says it with desperation, and I know I can't avoid her like I have been. I just didn't want to call her without good news and there is none right now.

    "Momma's boy" I hear Birdie cough under her breath behind me, and I shake my head.

    "Eavesdropping is rude Birdie." I know she can hear the joking tone I have.

    "Whatever." She laughs out, and I put my laptop in a messenger, and take my coat from the back of my desk.

"I'm working out of the office the rest of the night. Do you have everything you need? Money for dinner? A ride home? Do you have any questions? " I ask her, and she shakes her head.

    "You don't have to take care of me, I've got it all..." She looks at me with an odd look, and for one second I stare and realize it's a look of appreciation. It looks like she's never in her life heard something like I just said, and I decide to walk back to her. I crouch down in front of her as she has her chair turned to me. I remember being an intern myself. I don't know why I feel so protective over Birdie. I don't know why I've taken on my job of mentoring her as if it's my job to shield her from everything, and also make sure everything is smooth for her. I don't know at all. I see tears well up in her eyes, and I shake my head.

    "Why are you crying? I didn't mean to make you cry, I'm sorry." I shake my head, and she does the same.

    "You're just nicer to me than half the people I would even call friends. I'm sorry, I'm just not used to it." She shakes her head again and wipes underneath her eyes.

    "You don't have to apologize, it's okay to need people.. and I'd like to think we are friends now wouldn't you?" I ask her, and she pauses before nodding. "Friends take care of each other, okay? And besides that, if you fail miserably in this internship then I look bad too so I have to make sure you're in tip top shape." I joke, and she laughs. "You're sure you have everything you need?" I ask, and she nods her head.

    "Well... I need you and Scarlett to be together." She shocks me with her response, and I feel my eyes thin as well as a small smirk appear on my lips. I stand up, and straighten out my suit jacket, keeping the smirk that now feels more like a close lipped smile.

    "Working on that one." I answer back, and turn on my heel, towards the elevators. "Have a good night Birdie, and please message me when you get home safely." I tell her, and watch as she nods.

    The drive back to my apartment is fairly quick for L.A. I pull into the parking garage, parking between the other two cars. I get out, removing my suit jacket. I throw it over my arm, and grab my messenger, holding it on my shoulder as I click the lock button behind me, hearing the car chirp back at me, signaling it's locked. I go to the elevator, going straight to my floor, and typing in my access code. I get upstairs, and throw my things down. It's later than I wanted. I told Scarlett to come by around 8, knowing I wouldn't get home until now, 7:30. I start to unbutton my shirt, and almost jump right out of my own skin.