Chapter 1

On a sunny August morning in New York City, Isaac Ambros arrived at New York University with his parents in tow. Today was finally the day for him to move into his apartment for this third year of college. The weather was fully cooperating today, which was a nice change. Yesterday's rain had been replaced with sunshine and a few white clouds, along with a beautiful blue sky. For Isaac and his parents, it was the perfect weather for moving in.

"Ready to get started?" Isaac's father asked.

Isaac looked over to his father, who sat in the driver's seat. "Oh yeah."

His father parked his SUV in the apartment complex's visitor parking before he, his wife, and Isaac got out of the car. Once Isaac opened the back of the vehicle, he surveyed the numerous boxes inside. There didn't appear to be as many as there had been last year. Or had it always been the same amount? Isaac couldn't tell, but it didn't really matter. He grabbed the first box he could find and hauled it up to his apartment. Fortunately, his place was on the second floor, so the trek wasn't too bad. He waited until his father joined him at the door, key in hand.

"Crap, I didn't mean to forget my keys," Isaac said.

His father chuckled. "It's fine...this time. Next time, it won't be a good thing 'cause you'll have locked yourself out."

Isaac chuckled as well. "I won't forget, I promise."

Once the door opened, the two entered the apartment. Once they set down their boxes, Isaac scanned what was now his new home. The living room wasn't massive, but it wasn't tiny either. It looked quite plain, complete with white walls and light brown carpet on the entire floor. A slightly dingy brown couch sat against one wall, with a matching coffee table across from it. There was also a navy-blue futon across from the couch, complete with a white metal frame. Isaac could see the kitchen from a couple feet away, as well as several more rooms.

Snapping out of it, he ran back down to the car to grab more boxes. By now, his mother had decided to let him, and his father bring all the boxes and items up to Isaac's apartment. She was tasked with unpacking items and putting them away in the living room, kitchen, and bathroom. Isaac had insisted on taking care of his bedroom, as he had yet to pick which room he wanted.

It took about an hour and a half before Isaac and his father finished unloaded the car. Isaac saw that his mother had made a ton of progress with getting the tiny kitchen and eating area situated. It was a plain and unimpressive kitchen, but Isaac didn't mind. The appliances were in working order and the kitchen itself wasn't falling apart. As far as he was concerned, that was what mattered most.

"Which bedroom do you want?" Isaac's father asked.

Isaac walked over to his father. He then looked inside each bedroom, noting that they were all roughly the same size. Each one had a small closet, a single-sized mattress on a wooden bed frame, and a small two-drawer dresser that could double as a TV stand.

"It doesn't matter, honestly. I guess I'll take the first one," Isaac replied, gesturing to the room right in front of him.

With that decision made, he and his parents carried on with unpacking and getting moved in. The whole process took until about noon hour before it was finally done. Isaac wiped some sweat off his forehead and brushed some dark brown hair away from his face. He took in the now furnished apartment with a slight grin on his face.

"Well, that took less time than I thought," Isaac's mother remarked. "Are you going to be okay alone?"

Isaac nodded. "Felipe and DeShawn are moving in tomorrow. One day without them is fine."

His mother nodded. "Well...I guess this is goodbye once again."

"It is," Isaac's father said.

Again, Isaac nodded. "I'll miss you guys."