Emery laughed again.  "Well I know her scent so what does that tell you?"  It wasn't an admission to me, that much was obvious.  "She's so sweet and kind, something I always imagined my mate would be."

It was quiet for a moment and I could tell Angelo was thinking.  "What about her other mates?  You know she has eight of them, right?"

"Ugh.  Yeah I know."  Emery's voice sounded irritated and I couldn't help but grin.  At least he knew were going to protect her.  "The wolf and the tiger make me a little nervous, but the others not so much.  I can protect her much better than they can."

"You might want to be careful.  After seeing Dr. Sehun and Nurse Jin with Y/N, I would be more worried about them.  They are super protective of her.  I mean, I overheard the story of when the Amur leopard hybrid came in.  Nurse Y/N approached him and everyone thought Dr. Sehun was going to lose his shit.  They said he was furious."  I could hear the uneasiness in Angelo's voice as he spoke.

Emery scoffed at the mention of Sehun and me.  "I'm not really worried about them.  She is my mate, right? I keep imagining how nice it will be to breed her, fill her with my kittens, watch her belly grow round with my babies."

"Emery stop.  Nurse Y/N's a nice person.  I... I don't like hearing this conversation.  I'm going back to my room."  Angelo's voice was laced with disgust and my respect for the bear grew, knowing he wouldn't stand there and listen to Emery disrespect Y/N.  His footsteps faded away and I took that moment to step out of the office, Kevin's papers in hand.

Emery's smile dropped at the sight of me, but he pulled himself together quickly and the innocent kitten look was back on his face.  "Nurse Jin!  I'm so happy to see you.  It feels like it's been days."

"I've been busy working.  This is my job after all."  I couldn't help the frosty tone in my voice and I wanted nothing more than to punch Emery right in his handsome face.

"Of course.  How's Y/N?  I haven't seen her today.  She usually has coffee with me in the café during her break."  Emery's smile was smug as he spoke, almost as though he was trying to rile me up.  Sorry cat.  Not going to work.  I knew Y/N was having coffee with him every day.  It was actually Sehun's suggestion.  He had told her it would be safer to give Emery that little bit of attention in a place that was completely public.  It would keep her out of danger, at least for now.  "Sorry Emery.  She's been really busy today and she's supposed to be leaving early.  One of our mates isn't feeling good so Y/N's leaving early to go take care of him."

Emery's eyes narrowed and I could see he didn't like the reference to the other mates, but he hid it well.  Too well actually.  "Oh that's too bad.  I hope whoever it is feels better, but I'm not surprised that Y/N would go take care of him.  She's so sweet, so loving that I'm sure she would make an excellent mother."

I had to stop myself from strangling the cat as he spoke.  "Yeah it's something her mates have discussed.  It's something that we all are excited for.  Which reminds me, I have to get going.  One of our previous patients fell in love with a human after his mate rejected him. Since they can't have children together, you know because of the whole mate thing, we're going to help them with adoption.  SO exciting, right?"

Emery's smile dropped at my words and I could see right away he had no clue what I was talking about.  "What mate thing?"

Seeing that I had him, I leaned in almost conspiratorially.  "You know... since he's not really her mate, he's just shooting blanks.  You know how it is."

"O-oh yeah.  Right.  Right.  I... I just forgot." Emery stuttered through his reply and I had to stop myself from laughing.

"Well I better go.  Lots to do."  I leaned forward and squeezed his shoulder, maybe a little too tightly since he winced.  "I'll tell Y/N you were looking for her when I see her at home later tonight."