Chapter 1 * The Meeting

Today is the first day of my senior year of high school at the third different school since my freshman year

Today is the first day of my senior year of high school at the third different school since my freshman year. My father's not in the military, but his job as a biomedical engineer has transferred us to other states within the United States. I don't mind and consider each move a new adventure—my ability to adapt and easily make friends has helped me each time we moved homes. I'm ready to make this my best year yet.

I'm staring at the three outfits pulled from my closet, trying to make a choice. Through experience, I've learned that the first-day impression can affect how the rest of the year will play out.

"Nicole, breakfast is ready," my mom calls up to me from downstairs.

"I'll be down in a minute, Mom."

Decision time—jeans and a tee, skirt and blouse, or floral print dress? I decide on jeans and a tee. Casual and ready for whatever comes my way!

Upon entering the kitchen, I see my mom plating my annual first day of school breakfast, pancakes.

"Good morning," I say cheerfully.

She glances at me before returning to her task.

"Good morning, Sweetheart. If you finish your breakfast quickly, I can drop you off at school on my way to run errands."

I sit at the kitchen bar and pull my plate to me.

"Thanks, Mom. That would be great."

After rushing through breakfast, I meet my mom in the car.

My mom turns to me and smiles. "So, are you nervous about starting another new school?"

I shake my head and say, "Not really. I'm excited and meeting Chris and Diana in the courtyard; they are going to introduce me to some of their friends."

Chris is my neighbor from two doors down. I met him and his girlfriend, Diana, a few weeks ago when we moved in.

Chris has blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. He's of average height and super sweet. We're both seniors, even though we're a year apart. His birthday is in November, but his parents held him back a year. My birthday is in December, and my parents sent me on time. He's on North High's golf team, and according to him, he's pretty good.

Diana is a pretty petite brunette, and our build is very similar except in the chest area. She's barely a B cup, and I'm an overflowing C. She talked me into trying out for the football cheerleading squad last week, and we find out today who made the team. I'm hoping my background in gymnastics has helped me to stand out.

Keeping her eyes on the road, Mom says, "I'm happy that you have Chris and Diana to introduce you around. Chris' family was so welcoming when we moved in."

I grin as I recall seeing Chris for the first time when his mom insisted on him delivering a welcome basket full of freshly baked goodies.

"I know. Chris' family are great neighbors. Unlike the last place we lived."