Chapter 2

Kana thought for a moment, mentally organizing what they have to do and said, "Okay, first off, we have to interview everyone associated with Alexander. We also have to examine the evidence and his house for any clues to his death."

She then continued after a brief pause, "You two do the interviews. Cezar can do the observing and Lucius can do the charming part, particularly if they are emotional to the announcement of his death."

Lucius frowned as he put forward the argument she expected, "I'm sorry sergeant, but I can't manipulate people like that.

Kana's eyes widened as she heard him say the exact same thing he told L during the Kira investigation years ago.

Lucius got a sense of déjà vu, as if he had told it before, but couldn't remember when or where he said so.

A lost memory emerged in Cezar's mind.

He was scrutinizing a boy a few years younger than him who looked just like Lucius, "Then could you act as if you are serious? I'm sure that Amane's connected with the second Kira from the video incident. And also, from the way she loves you..."

The brown-haired man narrowed his eyes, "Are you asking me to become intimate with her so I can find out information about the second Kira?"

Watching him closely, Cezar replied, "Yes. I think you can do it. And we could get the clues to solve this case from Amane. This is why I released both of you."

The brown-eyed man firmly replied, "Ryuzaki. Even if it's for the Kira case, I could never toy with a woman's emotions like that."

Cezar's eyes widened as the brown-haired man continued, "I'm sorry, you need to understand. To me, taking advantage of another person's feelings is unforgivable and the most despicable thing a person can do."

The memory, if he could even call it that, finished, leaving him filled with questions. Kira? Who's the second Kira? Who was the first Kira? Who was the boy who had an uncanny resemblance to Lucius? Who's Amane? What did he mean by 'released the both of you'? Why did the boy call him Ryuzaki? And where did he learn Japanese to understand and speak so fluently?

He put those burning questions to the back of his mind and glanced at his sergeant who looked surprised and, possibly emotional at Lucius' words. She was hiding it well but then, he had trained himself to read people.

Feeling Cezar's eyes on her, she shook herself from the shock of having heard Lucius utter those words and firmly said, "Lucius, you are the only one who can do it."

As Lucius opened his mouth to protest, she asked, "You've watched crime tv series or movies?"

With puzzled looks on their faces, they nodded.

She explained what she had in mind when she asked Lucius to charm their witnesses, "Okay. Then I suppose that you've noticed the 'good cop' – 'bad cop' dynamic. I want you two to apply it here. Cezar can be the 'bad cop', the one who asks the confrontational questions and observes their reaction. Lucius can be the 'good cop', the one who 'saves' them from Cezar's pointed questions and instead, sympathizes with them and cajoles the necessary information out of them."

Seeing their skeptical faces, she chuckled, "I know you have your doubts, but believe me, it actually works. Capeesh?"

They nodded with a sparkle in their eyes which did not go unnoticed by Kana.

She sternly said, "Now, I know that you two are plotting your own ways of conducting interviews."

Their faces remained passive, but she saw the surprise in their eyes and continued, "As long as you work together, I don't mind what methods you use to get the information. But remember: this is a high-profile case. I'm getting pressure from the top brass to not mess this up and give the media a chance to pounce on us and create a ruckus. Therefore, I expect the two of you to not threaten or do anything of the sort in order to gain their statements."