The wave and greet her. Anne takes in a deep breath before saying, "It is a scrumptious pleasure to make your acquaintances. And I shall do my utmost to prove myself worthy of your friendship." The girls blink and stare at her.

"Uh, Anne loves to read. And she knows ever so many big words." I say trying to pull them out of their trance.

"Does she use them all in every sentence?" Josie says rudely.

"Josie!" I hiss but Tillie cuts me off.

"I like to read, too." She smiles.

Ruby furrows her brows at the girl. "No, you don't."

"No, I don't." Tillie sighs.

"I saw you at the church picnic. I'm sorry, I should've said hello. Mother wouldn't let me." Jane says changing the subject.

"Why do they make you wear that old-lady dress?" Josie laughs. I clench my jaw at the brat.

"It's just nice to have something new." Anne smiles.

"If you're an orphan, I suppose. I wouldn't be caught dead in it." Josie teases.

I clear my throat. "Anne isn't an orphan anymore. She's been adopted."

"I'm still an orphan, Ada. I'll always be an orphan." Anne shrugs.

"Goodness, I'd hate to be an orphan. I feel real sorry for you, Anne." Ruby says somewhat sweetly. I hear growling and dog like sounds from behind me. We look over and see Billy barking in Anne's direction.

Anne stands up straight."You're ridiculous." She spits at the boy.

"Hey, look, it's a talking dog! Can you fetch, too?" He taunts.

"Get out of here and quit being such a nuisance!" I push his shoulder.

He smirks before pinching my left cheek. "Oh I'm sorry princess. Did I hurt your feelings." Jane yanks his hand away from me.

"Billy, leave them alone." The boys walk off. Jane turns back to us. "Don't mind my brother. He's ridiculous!"

I nudge Anne before saying, "Never let the boys know when they've upset you."

"Never let them know when you like them, either." Ruby adds.

"School... is a lot to contend with." Anne mumbles.

"Have you ever been to a real school, or did they just send you to special orphan school?" Josie remarks.

"Back off, Josie." I say sternly make her roll her eyes and walk away with the rest of the girls.

Diana took Anne outside to give her the rest of her tour. I walk back to my desk and finish the work I started. Once I was done I headed outside to find the girls and when I did I walked in on a conversation I definitely did not want to hear.

"They must be making a baby." I hear Anne whisper.

"What?!" I say rather loudly. The girls turn and shush me. I walk over to the window and peek in to see Prissy and Mr. Phillips touching.