31† History's Mockery

Start from the beginning

One of the students who was eager for more information spoke up, all the much too excitedly, "Sir, what ever happened to the gift? Some people say that it was buried alongside His Late Holiness."

Felix nodded and walked closer to the students, then back to where Eden stood staring deeply into the picture seeing hidden parts to the picture that were misunderstood. "Yes, they do say that. But upon examination of His Holiness's body," Eden grew cold, hearing that the body was still near and close to the church made her inside twist, "There has been no sign of any metal around him. Even when we inspected it more thoroughly, the two ornate daggers were nowhere to be seen on or around his body. The records of the gifts, yes there were more than just one, include maybe a few things you have heard once before. We are unsure of the exact significance of the gifts, but the three gifts were two ornate golden daggers each engraved with two passages from the Lord's Good Book. The larger one has Isaiah 51:3 and the smaller has Ezekiel 28:13. This we believe has to do with the abundance of wealth and health of the land around where Benedict IX had blessed. Keeping the land as both passages relate to the Garden of Eden. The other two gifts are things we all had known were to be gifted by the three kings visiting Our Lord and Savior. In a better explanation, these three gifts had a spiritual meaning: gold as a symbol of kingship on earth, frankincense, an incense, as a symbol of deity, and myrrh, an embalming oil, as a symbol of death. Mother Maria is the one holding the jar of oil, and Henry III is holding the box of incense." Felix looked around to the crowd of people trying to get a better look and seeing each individual piece he spoke about. Eden felt her stomach churn, she wanted to throw up, but her stomach was empty.

"They speak of things they don't understand..." Eden's voice hushed, Felix caught wind of it for he stood close enough to do so. Abel's eyes noticed the longing in Eden's. He looked back up to the daggers, realizing he's seen them before. Much closer than he ever wanted to as well. One of the next few times meeting Eden, Abel met the sharp edges of the blades. Dual blades are some of the fastest wielding weapons, and in the hands of Eden, deadly.

Julia smiled moving closer to her husband and spoke happily as she asked a question, "Would anyone like to recite the passages that my husband here spoke of?"

Esther got excited to recite them, but waited for someone else to go before blurting anything out. Julia smiled and pointed to the overly excited Nun, "Oh! Yes, Ezekiel 28:13. You were in Eden, the garden of God, and adorned with every precious stone: ruby, topaz, and emerald, chrysolite, onyx, and jasper, sapphire, turquoise, and jade. Your settings and mountings were made of gold; on the day you were created, they were made." Esther smiled and folded her hands together in front of her lap.

"Exactly correct. Something expected from our renowned members of the Church. Now, would anyone like to try and recite the second passage of-"

"Isaiah 51:3. Surely the Lord shall comfort Zion: he shall pity all her desolations, and he shall make her desert like Eden, and her wilderness like the garden of the Lord: joy and gladness shall be found therein: praise, and the voice of singing." Eden was sharp and quick to the answer, which made the smile of Julia start to wander away from her face. It wasn't just the fact that Eden said it, but the way she said it, almost commanding and condemning someone with her words.

Felix nodded, but spoke, "I believe you are correct as well, but another way to say it in more simple terms would be, The Lord will comfort Zion and have pity on all her ruins. He will make her deserts like Eden and her wastelands into the garden of the Lord. Joy and gladness will resound in her, thanksgiving and the sound of music. You must know of an older translation?" Their eyes met, Felix could've swore he saw the gates of hell open up and a flame sparked through. Eden gave a light huff and turned back to the picture. Felix cleared his throat and smiled at everyone again, "And so, in the year after this Emperor Conrad II passed away due to gout. His son takes the throne and we don't see much of the Church's actions until September of 1044 when Pope Benedict IX was forced out of Rome by a second Roman uprising. He then was succeeded by one of the few anti-Popes Sylvester III on January 20th of 1045. This didn't last long, as Benedict IX took back the seat in February 1045 stating the election was invalid. He then became Pope for a second time but for only until he had requested to resign for he was wanting to marry. As I said before, this family had ties and a long reign in the church. The person Pope Benedict IX went to for advice was Gratian, the archpriest of St. John by the Latin Gate, and he was also the man's godfather. This powerful family had lots of pull, and when Giovanni Graziano, or the Late Pope Gregory VI took seat it was only after reimbursing Benedict IX for the past expenses. The Papal seat was a very hot seat in the year 1046.