"Yes, not the city itself," Athyra began. "But did you not mention to me once that some of the plant life was brought here from another location?"

"Yes, almost all of it." Nith confirmed. "It had to be, we can't grow a forest at sea."

"So a botanist, perhaps?" Onica wondered. "Of a time long past?" 

"Without a doubt." Athyra agreed. 

Tavra motioned to the tree. "But how would they know the plant grew here?"

Nith looked to her with a smile. "Oh, the travelers of the seas have good eyes, I assure you."

"And even better mouths." Athyra appended.     

"Yes, I suppose that is true," Tavra concurred. "We get many travelers through Ha'rar every season of every trine--most of them from the sea. A large number of them are seasoned botanists, with very detailed catalogues. It's not surprising to think one or two of them came to document the forest."

"Right," Athyra was lost in thought. "And yet, I still find the preciseness of it all mysterious." She faced Padra again. "What of the paper itself? The ink? The wax seal, perhaps?"

"All of it." Padra answered firmly, his quirky demeaner silenced for the moment. "Unknown."

Athyra pondered the statement with a few shallow bobs of her head, placing a finger to her lips. "Well then, there is only one thing we can do."

Onica sighed. "I sense danger."

Athyra struck her with a sly smile, returning her hands to her hips. "Thought you would be used to it by now."

"I'm certainly getting there." 

Nith wrinkled her face. "That's it?! That's your big conclusion?! I could have told you that from the beginning!" Her fiery attitude sprung to life again. "That was the whole point of the conversation, obviously! I thought you'd be amazed!"

"Why?" 

Nith fumed as she stomped her foot. "Ohhh, you're the worst! Because, you crudder, it means that I'm important!"

"How so?"

"Has that sea air finally salted your brain?" Nith shook her arms wildly, then grabbed a hold of Athyra's shirt, pulling downward to meet her eyes. "Think about it. It means this tattoo was placed on me for a reason. It wasn't simply random, you see? Someone is trying to tell me something. It's a guidance." 

The notion came over Athyra like a wave. Lost in her thoughts of port origins and strange plant life, she had overlooked the obvious: Nith was being targeted. And the letters were only the most recent advancement. "I see..." was all she could speak. 

As Onica studied Athyra's face, she could tell it was not simply this new information which plagued her, but something else. Athyra's energy had shifted from curious, to disturbance. "What is it?" She inquired. 

"Nothing," Athyra answered immediately. She returned her mind to the present. "I will speak no more of this tonight." She proclaimed, suddenly turning to walk down the path again.

Nith huffed. "There she goes,"

Onica stepped toward her and reached out her hand. "Athyra don't! You can't keep running away every time we need to talk."

"You two are the ones running." She retorted, continuing her long strides down the forest path. "I am seeking." 

"Don't bother," Nith said coming beside Onica. "Let her go for the night. I'm sure she just wants to think. Anyway it's late."