Chapter 28: Sorry

Disclaimer: One of the scenes here is inspired by the webtoon "Descent of the Demonic Master". And I do not own The Vampire Diaries or The Originals. This is purely a work of Fanfiction.

~TGITW~

Chapter 28: Sorry

"And oh, how fast would You come running?

If just to shadow me through the night

Trace my steps through all my failure

And walk me out the other side"

– Highlands (Song of Ascent), Hillsong

NEW ORLEANS. 2011 A.D.

At last, he found her.

After exhausting every lead he could, Elijah Mikaelson finally located Faith. She was in the St. Louis Cathedral of New Orleans. He knew the place served as a base of operations for witches in the past, but he did not hesitate. Once he heard the news, he immediately boarded a plane to Louisiana. Finding himself in the French Quarter once again, he prepared himself mentally to encounter opposition.

He needed to go and save his family.

As he stepped out of the car, he caught his reflection on the side mirror.

Why do you look delighted at the thought of vengeance and violence? His inner demon taunted him.

Elijah ignored it and walked towards the big, wooden church doors.

Be honest and admit it Elijah. The voice in his head continued. You're simply pursuing your own joy under the excuse of protecting your family.

He pushed the doors opened and was greeted with silence. The place was deserted.

Elijah scanned the sanctuary as he walked towards the altar. It was one of the oldest cathedrals in the US and time only added to its beauty. The sun shone through the stained-glass windows and fell on the empty pews adding to the church's ethereal beauty. Elijah's footsteps echoed throughout the empty building reaching all the way up to its high ceilings.

Stopping just short of the altar, Elijah focused all his efforts into listening. He concentrated hard on finding any signs of life and was rewarded for his efforts. This was where his vampiric hearing really proved its usefulness. He located movement in the cathedrals' basement, about two floors down.

"Found you."

~TGITW~

The church's basement looked more like a dungeon than anything.

There were rows and rows of rusted cells. The place looked like it would crumble any time. It certainly was the opposite image to the beautiful cathedral above.

The place was structured like a labyrinth. Eventually, the tunnels connected and merged into an open space.

It was there that Elijah found Faith.

She had her arms tied over her head and hanged from the ceiling. She obviously looked like she had been tortured. And judging by the various instruments that surrounded her, it seemed like she had been subjected to cruel and painful experiments.

Elijah could smell Faith's dry blood all over the room. The animal in him growled. Just imagining what could have happened to Faith was making him see bloodlust.

There were three people in the room with Faith but before they could react to his presence, Elijah had already ripped their hearts out of their bodies. He would show no mercy to anyone who hurts his family.