Chapter Four - Stark's mind

"Stark industries! I've got one recommendation! Ready? Ready?" I was watching some quack on the TV ranting about what my father had done in regards to the company.

"Who does this guy think he is anyway. Moron. Mute." The tv did so. I turned my attention to Pepper.

"Dad has seeing the light in a bizarre way. He's looking to a different kind of weapons future." I told her.

"Well with everything that's going on they probably think he's having a mental breakdown, or something." She replied "Not that I think he is it's just that..."

"I know, I get you."

"Reign, how big are your hands?" I jumped slightly as Dad's voice came over the intercom.

"What?"

"How big are your hands, they're small right? i can't remember whether you have the same hand shape as me or your mother." I shared a weird glance with Pepper.

"I don't get..." he cut me off.

"Get down here I need you, oh and bring Pepper as well." I sighed and got off the couch heading down to the workshop. I typed in my code and we entered. Dad was on a medical lounger connected to a heart and vitals monitor .

"What the fuck?" i exclaim seeing his current state

"Hey to you too. Come on let's see the both of you show me your hands." I held my hand up and he pointed to me.

"You're up first. Pep you're supporting. I need your help of a sec." I saw the mini arc reactor that was keeping him alive. He had briefly told me about what had happened on the car ride yesterday.

"Oh my god, is that the thing that's keeping you alive?" Pepper questioned

"It was now it's just antique. This is what will be keeping me alive for the foreseeable future. I'm swapping it out for an upgrade unit and I just ran into a little speed bump."

"What kind of speed bump" I questioned warily

"It's nothing just a little snag. There is an exposed wire under this device." he started to remove the core "And it's contacting the socket wall and causing a little bit of a short. It's fine." he twanged it it and handed it to Pepper who jumped.

"What do you want me to do with it?"

"Put that on the table over there it's irrelevant. Reign, I want you to reach in, and you're just gonna gently lift the wire out." he told me while keeping a check on his vitals.

"Is that safe?"

"Yeah. It's just just like when we played operation. Don't let it touch the sides. okay." I winced as i lifted up my hand and it got closer to his chest.

"Do I really have to do this?" I ask wincing at every minute, I wasn't normally a squeamish person, but this defiantly made me squeamish.

"Please. It's all about trust and a steady hand, you've got both. Look at me." i did "You've got this."

"Okay." I reached in and I felt the goop "Oh that is just gross." I comment "Is that pus?"

"It's no pus. It an inorganic plasma discharge from the device, not my body."

"It's disgusting and you owe me big time."

"You need the copper wire. The copper wire do you have it ?" Dad wondered as I felt around for it.

"Yeah."

"Good now don't let it touch the. Argh" he winced as it accidentally touched the side "I said not the sides, Reign."

"Sorry but when you've got the coop and the wire it's tricky." I pulled it out

"Now when you pull it out make sure you don't pull out the magnet." Oops, it just came out and the machine started beeping.

"What do I do? Oh that is just...." I held in my gag reflex.

"Don't put it back in hand it to Pepper." I did so and she put it in the dish

"What's going on?"

"Nothing just going into cardiac arrest because you yanked out the...." I cut him off because of his antics.

"You said it was fine, Jesus, Dad."

"We gotta hurry, take this, take it." I did so "I need you to attach it to the base plate and make sure. Ouch." he groaned as I fixed it into place. The rapid beating stopped and went back to normal.

"There we go, was that so hard? That was fun, right? I got it, I got it." I took my hands away.

"Are you okay?" Pepper questioned

"Yeah, I feel great."

"Awesome because despite being my Dad, you're an ass and I feel like I need a dozen showers after this. Pepper, can i leave him in your capable hands?" I sigh.

"Of course Reign." I left and washed myself.

"Miss Stark your father is waiting for you outside." Jarvis warned me and I walked out it my towel. He sat on my bed as I headed into my wardrobe.

"So about what happened downstairs." he started as he remained in my room.

"I am never doing it again, you want to something changed you either do it yourself our you see an actual doctor." I call back grabbing a sundress, knickers and bra. I dried myself off.

"But you see the thing is, you're the only one I got. So there is that. The only one i would trust with my life in my hands." I dressed and walked out.

"You have Pepper, Obie, Happy and Rhodey." I replied sitting down at my vanity and began with my skincare products.

"Yeah I do, but you're my daughter so that means more. Reign, Sweetheart come here." I stopped what I was doing and went to sit next to him. He took my hands in his.

"I'm working on something big, something that's gonna change everything and I want your help." He was serious, like actually serious which he rarely was.

"I thought you stopped designing weapons for the forces." he nodded

"I have it's not for them it's for...well us or just me if your not interested. I created something that helped me escape and now I want to create it again only a less bulky and more sleeker." I was more confused than before.

"Why do I get the feeling that this is going to backfire." he grinned knowing from that I was on board. Which I was but only so he didn't do anything majorly stupid.

------

I stood behind my dad at his computer in the workshop. He was showing me what he and the other captive who he refused to name had come up with to make their escape.

"Jarvis are you up?" Dad asked i saw the schematics of what the project that were were planning to work on together

"For you sir always."

"I'd like to open a new project file, index as mark 2." I stood back as he brought it over to the holo table.

"Shall i store this on the Stark Industries central database?"

"Don't know who to trust right now. Till further notice why don't we just keep everything on my private server. With only Reign and I access to it."

"Working on a secret project are we sir?" Jarvis questioned

"Reign, you're up. I don't want this ending in the wrong hands." I played with the image slightly and started removing unnecessary parts "Maybe for once I can actually do some good."

"I wouldn't say you did bad. I turned out alright didn't I?" I gave him a small smile.

"You're brilliant." he kissed my head. as we started with the project.