"We don't have space. Now, if you can excuse me, I need to get to my uncle." Venice started walking away. She had a mean limp, and I was stunned she wanted to commit to the journey. I'm sure we could get someone else from the Tower to take her uncle's stuff to him. She held the box firmly in one arm, and I groaned. She thought she was so tough.

I turned to the people who were still staring at her walk away hopelessly. "Go to the Tower and tell them that Venice said you could stay, okay? That'll let you stay," I whispered so Venice couldn't hear me.

"What the hell are you waiting for," Venice yelled. I turned to see her about to turn the corner. After giving the people a reassuring smile, I ran over to Venice. "What did you tell them," Venice asked as she kept walking.

"I told them you were a dick and that you said you'd let them stay at the Tower."

"What?!"

"Okay, I didn't really say you were a dick."

"Maeve!"

"They need somewhere to go Venice! I told them to give the people your name and that they could stay in the Tower." Venice looked as if she wanted to choke me out, but I didn't care. They had a child and a former nurse. The nurse could be extra help in the sickbay, and the child deserved shelter.

"Yeah, and now Rock and my father are going to chew my ass out," Venice grumbled.

We walked for at least twenty minutes. There was no interruptions, but a few feasters. I taught Venice my method to sneak by them, and she seemed somewhat impressed. She was still mad about me inviting the people to stay at the Tower. Not much was said until we reached some old, shack like building, behind a bunch of big, tall buildings. It was like it was hidden. From the streets, you couldn’t even see it. Venice gave the door three soft knocks, and then shuffling was heard. The door swung open and a man pulled Venice and I in. Venice grimaced at the pain of her thigh as the man grabbed her. He looked just like her father, but he seemed a bit rougher around the edges. Nark seemed rested, but this guy seemed like he hadn’t had sleep in forever. “Did you get my stuff,” he asked gruffly as he took the box from Venice’s hand. Venice took a well needed seat as her uncle went through the contents of food, water and other necessities. “Who’s she?”

“A stubborn girl named Maeve,” Venice said as she stretched out her leg. “As fun as it would be to stay, Uncle, I think we should go. We got attacked by a couple of Ruffians and an arrow was lodged in my thigh.” I looked around the man’s little shack. It was cluttered with pictures and papers with tons on information on them. I don’t know what the information contained but it at least looked important. On a shelf, he a two green plants that stood tall. They looked so familiar. Cannabis! This dude grew Cannabis!

“That’s illegal,” I blurted as I stared at the plants.

“Yeah, tell me that when we actually have some form of government controlling us. This, right here, is a free state. Enjoy it while you can, sister,” the man said as I grabbed a granola bar from his box of supplies. “Matter of fact, Venice, roll you one or two to go. Sure will help with the pain. Actually,” the man got up and shuffled around his room. He felt all over his body, and then he reached behind his ear. I hadn’t even noticed the joint he had planted there. Is that why he had so much paper? “Here you go, darling.” He gave the stick to Venice and lit it for her. Venice’s uncle was right about New York not having any authority right now, but still I had the feeling I was going to get arrested. The only bad thing I did was smoke cigarettes, which didn’t even become a habit until all of this went down.

“Already feeling better,” Venice said as she chuckled. The smoke from the joint was blew in my face when she talked.

“Rude.”