Chapter 17

Viktoriya's POV

I have always imagined death to be peaceful. After the initial pain, it would be like floating on a crisp breeze over the mortal lands, unfeeling and tranquil. Not that I had thought about it much, but I certainly had not expected it to be so suffocating. My senses were cut off, I could not move and the only thing I could do was think.

I was trapped inside my own mind.

The shadow walls were closing in on me, forcing me back into a dreamless slumber. But they were not mine, I couldn't control them. The tendrils reached out, wrapping around my consciousness and squeezing out my strength. They brushed my treasured memories, twisting them.

I tried to scream and pounded against the dark wall separating me from the Darkling. His shadows pulled me back yet again and I caught a glimpse of his memories.

I saw him as a young boy, training relentlessly with a beautiful woman.....my grandmother. The scene changed to that of the Winter Fete with performing grishas and Alina Starkov in all her glory. I saw her through his eyes as a regal woman with a power that could change the world. The scene was distorted, tinged with green envy and bright golden sparks....success and greed.

The next memory left a bitter taste on my tongue. We were back in Ketterdam, observing the grandoise of the West Stave. A particular periwinkle mansion stood out with its roof lined with silver.

Its heavy brass doors opened to reveal a gorgeous woman with a soft heart shaped face. She frowned upon seeing us, but we followed her in. A shrill cry came from one of the rooms, a baby asking for her mother. The scene became tinged again, this time in the deepest shade of crimson I had ever seen......love.

The Darkling's heart soared as the adorable baby came into view. A handful of chocolate locks framing her features as her pink lips stretched into a toothy smile. She cooed upon seeing her parents and stretched her chubby hands out as a silent plea to be hugged. The Darkling obliged and pearly light filled the room....joy.

The scene lulled me to sleep, dragging me into the darkness as the shadows receeded, happy with their work. I fought it with all my will, clawing at the thick sugary coating of calmness. I had to free myself of this prison!

I pushed back at the mammoth wall, ignored the false sense of security and love my father was trying to feed me. I had to save Nikolai. Using every ounce of strength left, I fought back, pounding against my own mind.

The wall shattered and a loud groan echoed as his power clamped mine, trying to smother it down, but to no avail.

Nikolai's POV

I watched as the smirk disappeared from  Viktoriya's face and she crumpled to the ground, clutching her head. Her recently turned silver eyes closed in pain as she shouted in agony. My heart broke into a million pieces as she doubled over, gasping. A trickle of blood escaped from her nose as she looked up at me, her eyes a warm honey brown.

"Viktoriya! You're still there. Please, I love you. Tell me you're alright." I pleaded, rattling the iron bars of the cell she was in. She didn't deserve being in there. If it were up to me, she would be where I could have her in my arms and protect her from the Darkling.

Of course Zoya had other ideas. According to her I was the one who needed protection. When I had recovered from the failed obsibaya, I had carried unconscious Viktoriya back to Os Alta. It had required surplus amounts of bribery and my irresistible charm, but as soon as we were in the castle, she was in a cell. She had been fairly conscious- or should I say the Darkling inhabiting her body and was making taunts at us, as usual.

My temper had rocketed on seeing those deathly grey orbs in place of honey. Viktoriya had been through so much, she wasn't entitled to her body being stolen.

A tear rolled down one dusty cheek. "If I say I am alright, then I would be lying. You're not dead." she managed a smile, eyes glistening.

I huffed a laugh. "You saved me. How many times are you going to do that?"

She sniffed and put her palm on my tight grip around the bars. "Then I suppose you owe me one. I'm sorry the obsibaya didn't work."

I brushed her tear away, fingers lingering on her soft cheek. "No, I'm sorry I didn't listen to you. If I had, you wouldn't be here and he wouldn't be here."

"We all make mista-" she started, but choked midway. Her eyes glazed over and they turned stormy. Sweat appeared on her forehead as a cold male voice said ''You are stronger than I thought, rebe."

My eyes hardened and I ripped my hands away.
"Poor sobachka got his heart broken." he frowned mockingly.

"Get out of her!" I growled. The Darkling twisted Viktoriya's beautiful features in response.

"I quite like it here. My daughter is powerful and compatible. On the other hand, I want her respect so I will leave."

"I'm sensing there is a condition." I responded, momentarily shocked.

The Darkling grinned. "You were always smart enough to be king, it's a shame I don't like you. And yes, if you take me to my Alina, I will leave my daughter's body."

"Why do you want Alina? She doesn't have her powers anymore." I questioned.

"You are in no position to ask questions boy. Take me to my Alina and her tracker. I don't care for the fact that she isn't the sun summoner anymore." The Darkling spat, his eyes narrowing in annoyance.

My eyes lit up in realization. "You cannot use your powers outside of the fold can you? Or I would already be dead."

"You would be dead from the day you decided to lay your filthy hands on my daughter!" He said, features contorting.

"My hands are immaculate, thank you." I answered, smirking in victory.

The Darkling's silver eyes burned with hatred. "Take me to Alina or I will kill Viktoriya." he threatened.

It didn't take much for me to agree.