Chapter 13

Viktoriya's POV

"Mmmmm," I said as I shifted in the deliciously toasty silk sheets, a particular sea salt and coconut scent wafted into my nose . The bedsheets seemed softer and more cosy than the bed I had been sleeping on in the palace. Sunlight warmed my face as the light summer breeze swept in, cooling the room. A sudden feeling of being watched made me open my eyes, prone to the bright sunlight pouring in from the windows.

As soon as I wasn't temporarily blinded, I sat up, only to have a splitting headache. I groaned and fell back onto the fluffy pillows. "Good morning sugarplum.", Nikolai said from the corner. He was lounging on one of the velvet chairs, already dressed in a plain brown garb for saints know what. Did I fall asleep in his room?

"Do not call me that, Lantsov. And do not stare while I'm asleep. ", I told him as I massaged my temples.

"I was merely observing the way you mumble in your sleep, plus what happened to sunshine? ", he replied.

I'm sure I don't mumble in my sleep, he was just trying to get under my skin."I have never called you sunshine.", I argued.

"Yes you did, just after we kissed. You called me your sunshine and then passed out on me. I suggest you reduce all that drinking sugarplum."

Saints! I cannot believe I called him that. My cheeks heated with embarrassment and I looked away from his mischievous hazel eyes. "Please tell me that was the worst thing I did", I groaned again.

"Honestly, I liked being called your sunshine and since you're so embarrassed, I will not tell you about the part where you cuddled me in your sleep and oh! I had to change your bloodied dress-", he started ticking off the list, when I erupted.

"WHAT!???", I shouted, swiftly getting up and looking at the simple white nightgown I was in. Forget about cuddling him, this was way worse.

"HOW DARE YOU-", I said, stomping towards him when he burst out laughing. He was laughing so hard that tears leaked down his face and he fell on the ground, clutching his stomach. What the hell was so funny??

After a moment he stopped to gasp for air and seated himself in that chair again. Stupid boy, I was going to strangle him for that. I think he understood that from the death glare I was giving him and said, "Sorry, Genya changed your dress and I swear I was not looking. The cuddling was nice too. No complains, but I hope you don't regret it. On the other hand, you should drink more often if it makes you go all mushy on me, sugarplum. "

I rolled my eyes and said, "That was not funny Nikolai. And I don't regret it. I just thought I was dreaming."

"Dreaming about kissing me says a lot about you, sugarplum.", he said and chuckled.

"Staring at me while I'm sleeping says a lot about you too, creep.", I countered and he made an aghast face at the comment.

"I can't help it, you look so innocent and less likely to murder me when you're asleep.", he said with a pouty face.

"You're such a drama queen.", I said rolling my eyes.

"I'll accept that and now we're quite late. You must get ready and meet me in the War Council room. We have to go to the shadow fold."

"Oh right that's today! I'll see you there.", I said and rushed out and then came back in.
"Wait, how did u sleep next to me without me being the monster's midnight snack?",I asked.

He gave me a look and said, "I was heavily sedated, slept like a baby."

"Then how did you know I cuddled you?", I asked, amused.