Chapter 12.2

Nikolai's POV

I was listening to Viktoriya's eye-opening speech when the windows exploded. It rained glass in the throne room and I was vaguely reminded of the day my brother had died. History was repeating itself.

The druskelle flooded into the room, armed and ready as the nobles scattered, giving way to the grisha. Gunshots boomed and bones cracked as the two sides met.
Tolya and Tamar appeared at my side, shielding me from the chaos beyond. Not that I needed it.

"Viktoriya. Go to her. I can handle this.", I shouted over the pounding in my ears.

"We need to protect you. She is fine.", Tamar said while pointing to the beautiful figure now running towards Zoya.

"Release!", echoed among the druskelle as a light orange gas wafted into the air. No!

"Hold your breath!", Zoya and I shouted over the screams as I sprinted towards them, taking down two massive fjerdans with my trusty revolvers.

A wave of grisha went down, gasping for breath. The druskelle pushed us back, taking down more gaurds.

"Stay down!", I heard Viktoriya shout from where she knelt before an unconscious Zoya. She sounded enraged.

She got up and stood before the rows of druskelle, hands at ready. With a battle cry the druskelle charged and I just stayed rooted at the spot, unable to do anything, unable to save her as the Ravkans dropped to the ground, obeying her demand.

A thunder clap sounded in the room and darkness followed, thick and cloying. It seeped into my mouth, nose and ear, making it difficult to breathe.

Another crack sounded and another, spraying the air with blood. People screamed and wailed as the darkness slowly choked me. The persistent ringing in my ears drowned out any sound and a splitting headache throbbed at the base of my skull.

The hard marble floor met my fall as I collapsed.

Viktoriya's POV

"Move!", I shouted to the circle of onlookers surrounding their fallen king. Tolya and Tamar had gone to get the antidote and the remaining grisha were carrying the ones affected by parem to the infirmary. The fjerdans were taken care of, no survivors after I had performed the Cut.

My head was a bit woozy, still regretting all that liquor.

The spectators parted to let me through, hair deranged and with a blood splattered dress. I looked like a mad woman.
Nikolai was lying on the ground, choking on my shadows and the pretty blonde girl was beside him in an etherialki uniform trying to coax air back into his lungs.

She looked up at me with wide eyes and shifted to give me access. Ignoring her accusing look, I knelt beside Nikolai and fisted my hands into his fancy coat, making the shadows recede from his mouth.

He coughed and sat up, massaging his throat.
"Do you not understand what stay down means?", I seethed quietly.

"I was coming to help!",he rasped, then winced.

"I'm convinced you have a death wish."

"We're similar in that department."

"Are you okay?",the blonde woman asked Nikolai. The audience had dispersed after making sure their ruler was still breathing.

"Yes Nadia, I can manage a sore throat. Did they get the antidote?", he said.

She turned to me,"Tamar and Tolya are getting it. I still cannot believe my wife kept this a secret. And all of you." A glare was hinted at Nikolai. Wait.........did she say wife?