Me and You (bonus chapter)

Start from the beginning

That's when he realizes that there's only one person who would know where she is for sure.

"Can you help me find Margaret Carter?" Steve asks.

A couple days and a plane ride later, Steve arrives at Peggy's nursing home in DC. He was nervous to see her because just last week he had kissed her but to her, it's been a lifetime.

A nurse brings him to her room and he takes a moment to breathe before opening the door.

As he look on the love of his life, old and grey, he can't help but feel cheated. He should be here in this nursing home with her, not as he is now but just as old and grey as she is. They should have had decades of love and life together but he had that stolen from him too.

As he looks at Peggy, he wants to fall to his knees and scream at the universe that it wasn't being fair. He had to watch his best friend die and now he was going to have to watch the same thing happen to his two best girls and there is nothing he can do about it.

"Hey, Peg," Steve says when she looks over at him.

"Steve?" She gasps in wonderment.

He walks over and grabs one of her frail hands in his.

"You're alive! You came back," she says as tears fill her eyes.

He can't help but feel tears pooling in his eyes. They just never got the timing right but at least he gets to have someone who means so much to him in this strange time.

"Yeah, Peggy," he whispers.

"It's been so long... so long," she says mournfully.

He smiles down at her and gives her hand the lightest of squeezes.

"Well I couldn't leave my best girl. Not when she owes me a dance," Steve says.

She beams up at him but her smile begins to fade. Steve begins to frown at her obvious change in disposition.

"Steve... I need to talk to you about Elizabeth," she says seriously.

He can tell from her tone that whatever she has to say isn't good but she doesn't get a chance to explain as the door opens suddenly and a young woman enters the room.

"Hey, Aunt Peggy!" She says.

However, her expression turns to shock as she looks at the the other occupant in the room.

"Uncle Steve?!" The girl yells.

The girl in question is Lizzie's look alike. He could have almost sworn it was her for a second. However, as he looks more closely, he notices that she's a little shorter than Lizzie and has darker hair. Not to mention the nose ring and the couple tattoos that are visible. But she has the exact same color eyes.

She has Lizzie's eyes.

The Rogers' eyes.

Steve's eyes.

There's no doubt in his mind that this young girl is related to him.

"Um, yes. Hi," Steve says lamely.

They all stay silent for a moment until Peggy comes to the rescue.

"Steve, this is your great niece, Elizabeth," Peggy introduces.

Steve doesn't know if this is the correct response to meeting a long lost relative but he extends his hand out for her to shake. She shakes his hand but he can tell she's still shocked.