I Loved Her First

Steve tries to convince Bucky to let him drive back to the house and leave the motorcycles at the air strip but Bucky won't have it.

Steve is about to fall apart because his twin is taken. One of his biggest fears has come true. He could fall apart later with Peggy but right now, his concern centers around Bucky.

He hasn't seen Bucky like this since his Winter Soldier days. Other than the brief breakdown when he first saw the abandoned car, he wears an emotionless mask. It scares Steve to see that expression on his face again.

Bucky gets on the motorcycle and doesn't even acknowledge Steve. He takes off at breakneck speed and Steve quickly follows him.

When Bucky arrives he doesn't bother putting the motorcycle back in the garage. He just stops it on the lawn in front of Steve and Peggy's house.

The only thing he wants right now is to see his boys. His life is falling apart right now and he wants to see a living reminder of his wife right now.

He crashes through the front door and the first thing he sees is Howard Stark sitting on the couch next to Peggy.

"What is he doing here?" Bucky demands.

"Peggy called me to see if I had seen Beth. If my friend is missing, I want to help," he says.

Bucky doesn't have the patience to deal with anyone at this moment, especially not Howard Stark.

He acts as if he never heard Howard answer his question.

"Where are the twins?" He asks Peggy.

"They are taking a nap in their room," Peggy says.

The boys have their own room at Steve and Peggy's house just like Sarah has a room at Bucky and Lizzie's house.

Bucky gives her a curt nod before heading up the stairs. He quietly opens the door so he doesn't wake the babies.

He looks at JJ first and relaxes at the peaceful expression on his face. He always wants his sons's happiness to come first. He realizes in that moment that if he never finds Lizzie, they won't even remember what she looks like. How is he supposed to do this on his own?

He stops his thoughts right there. He will get her back. His sons will not grow up without a mother, he refuses to let that happen.

He looks over at Steven and he looks so much like Lizzie that it makes him want to cry. Part of him wants to wake him up just so he can see her eyes.

He just saw Lizzie last night but with her being so far from him, it feels like forever.

He is distracted by Steve's appearance in the doorway. Steve nods his head towards the stairs, urging Bucky to follow him.

Bucky wants to ignore him and continue to watch his babies sleep but he knows that they need to talk. He knows he's not the only one who loves Lizzie.

He takes one more long glance at the twins before following Steve out and quietly shuts the door behind him.

Bucky says nothing as the both of them go downstairs. He stays silent as Steve explains to Peggy and Howard what they discovered earlier.

As they describe the events, Howard becomes paler and paler.

"What would they want with Lizzie?" Peggy asks.

"That's what we've been trying to figure out," Steve says.

"I know why they took her," Howard says shakily.

Bucky who was once very uninterested in this conversation snaps his head up to look at Howard.

"Why?" Bucky asks aggressively.