I'll Hurry Back

Lizzie and Bucky sit at the kitchen table holding each other's hands. They both sit in silence, trying to digest what they've just read.

Bucky ships out tomorrow to England. Before they got his orders, they thought they would have more time to say goodbye.

"Sergeant James Barnes of the 107th. That was dad's regiment. I dont know if that's a bad omen or not," Lizzie says.

Bucky doesn't respond because what could he possibly say?

"I knew you were leaving soon but I thought they'd give you more notice," Lizzie admits.

"So did I, but this is the time we've been given so we're going to make the most of it. We're going to find Steve and you're going to find him some nurse as a date and we're going to go out and have fun. We aren't going to spend all day inside, thinking about how much we're going to miss each other. Tomorrow, we can miss each other but today, today we are going to enjoy," Bucky says.

She doesn't really feel like going out with the mood she's in but she knows Bucky is right.

"Okay, what are we going to do?" Lizzie asks.

He didn't think that far ahead.

"I'll figure something out. Now I'm going to go find Steve and you're going to see if that nurse friend of yours is free tonight," Bucky says.

"Wow, replacing me already?" Lizzie jokes.

He reaches over and pulls Lizzie onto his lap.

"I should've rephrased, see if your nurse friend is free for Steve. Trust me, you're irreplaceable, Ellie," Bucky says earnestly.

She leans down and presses her lips softly to his. She tries to ignore the fact that their kisses are limited.

Bucky soon goes upstairs to get dressed for the day while Lizzie finishes cleaning breakfast up.

When he comes back down, he is wearing his uniform.

"Really? Your uniform?" Lizzie asks.

"What? I think I look rather good," Bucky says.

She looks him up and down appreciatively.

"That you do, if not a tad pretentious," she says.

He walks over to her and puts his hands on her waist. She reaches up and laces her fingers behind his neck.

"I'm not 100% sure what pretentious means but I'm going to assume it was a compliment," he says.

"Whatever gets you through the day, baby,"
She says.

"You're a brat," he says.

She rolls her eyes at him.

"Well, you better get going so you can find Steve and so I can call Bonnie," Lizzie says.

"Who?" Bucky asks.

"My nurse friend for Steve," Lizzie explains.

"Ohhh, I was just going to call her nurse friend all night," Bucky teases.

She laughs and then begins pushing him towards the door.

"Would you go already?" Lizzie says with a laugh.

She then realizes that with the inevitable goodbye tomorrow, her wording was poor.

Bucky sees Lizzie's face drop and can tell she noticed how her words sounded.

"Don't worry Ellie, I'll hurry back," he promises.

He closes his eyes as he leaves a lingering kiss on her forehead.