Just The Getaway Driver

A few days pass and Lizzie decides it's time to talk to Steve. She has been completely giving him the silent treatment and she could tell it hurt Steve.

Sarah was at the hospital so they were supposed to have cook off night but Lizzie had already made her food before Steve even got downstairs.

Steve quickly makes his food and sits down at the table. Lizzie decides to let him sit in silence a little longer.

Lizzie finishes eating and sets her dish aside but she sees Steve has barely touched his food. She knows its time to put him out of his misery.

"Steve?"

He quickly looks up. She hasn't talked to him since before her date, he was beginning to think she never would.

"Y..yes," he stutters.

"I need to say some things and I really need you to just listen," Lizzie says.

"Of course," Steve says.

"I can't believe you would go behind my back and spy on me. Yes, I was hiding something from you but I thought you would respect me enough to allow me to tell you at my own speed. Looking back, I probably should have told you even though I had concerns. I knew that if I told you, you would've told Bucky. I know both of you pretty dang well at this point and I knew how it would play out. I just didn't exactly envision it playing out on one of my dates and in public no less. I need to know why you did what you did," Lizzie concludes.

Steve sighs and looks at Lizzie.

"First, if you would have came to me and asked me not to tell Bucky, I would've done it. You know I don't do well if I'm asked a direct question but I can keep a secret for the most part. I still don't understand why I did it really. I definitely knew it was wrong but I also needed to know," Steve says.

If he could go back, he would change everything. He would have never got in the car with Bucky. However, he did get in the car with Bucky so now he needed to explain why he did what he did and hope she understands.

"I knew that if you were just dating someone random from school, there wouldn't be that much secrecy. Yeah, Bucky and I would probably have talked to him, well probably Bucky would do most of the talking, but we would've been okay with it eventually. That meant that you were trying to hide who you were dating. I needed to make sure that you were hiding his identity for a good reason. As much as I wanted to let it go, I needed to make sure that I knew who he was so if anything went wrong, I could find you," Steve finishes.

"You knew mom knew who he was," Lizzie says.

"Yeah, well, I didn't think that through. We aren't usually rational when we worry about someone we love," Steve says.

Lizzie knew that the twins were rarely rational when the other twin was in danger. She thinks back to their first encounter with Bucky when she thought he was picking on Steve. She didn't even stop to consider the situation but blindly defended.

"True. To be fair, you were also just the getaway driver so I forgive you Steve," Lizzie says.

Steve gets up and hugs Lizzie. He's so happy to have his sister back. He wants to just move past all of this but he knows he has to ask one more question.

"What about Bucky?" Steve asks.

She freezes in his arms and pulls away.

"What about him?" She says evasively.

"Are you going to forgive him too?" Steve asks.

"No, not right now at least," Lizzie says quietly.

"Why not? I was there just as much as he was," Steve says.

"Do you want me mad at you again?" Lizzie asks.

Of course he doesn't want her mad at him, that's the last thing he wants. But he owes it to Bucky to at least try to get his sister to forgive him.

"No, I just want to understand why you won't forgive him like you forgave me," Steve says.

"Well, for one, you're my twin. We have never stayed mad at each other long. Second, you observed but you didn't involve yourself like Bucky did. Third, he spoke to me with the utmost disrespect. Fourth, he used physical force against me. That one is the worst one for me. The last time I was restrained by a boy, I was traumatized for years. Bucky knew this better than anyone and still used his body against me. I knew that Bucky would never hurt me physically on purpose but it still scared me. I've had a couple nightmares since it all happened," Lizzie admits.

Steve doesn't know how to respond. He completely disagreed with Bucky's use of his strength against her but he didn't understand the deeper implications at the time.

"You know it was just something he did in the moment. He knew you wouldn't get in the car because you were just stubborn enough to walk home," Steve explains.

Lizzie thinks about the hand shaped bruise on her upper arm. She won't show that to Steve though. She knows if she does, it might damage Steve and Bucky's relationship and no matter how mad she was, she didn't want that.

"And what about when he yanked me out of Riley's car and pulled me across the lot? I was already getting out of the car when he started to pull me," She says.

Steve doesn't know what to say to that. He knows the reason why Bucky did that. Bucky was hurt and mad because the girl he loved was with someone else. He let his emotions get the best of him and he lost his head. He can't explain this to Lizzie though.

"I'm sorry Liz, I really am. Don't get me wrong, I am furious that he hurt you. He was brash but you know he was doing what he thought was best," Steve says.

"Yeah, yeah. Bucky is always doing what he thinks is best and damn what anyone else thinks or feels," Lizzie grumbles.

"Come on Liz, he's our best friend," Steve says.

"He's your best friend. I don't think Bucky and I can be anything anymore," Lizzie says.

"Isn't that kind of rash? He's been our best friend for almost 4 years. You can't throw that all away because of one night," Steve says.

"That one night was very revealing. I dont know why it's such a big deal, friends have falling outs all the time," Lizzie says.

"But not you and Bucky," Steve says.

"Steve, there is no me and Bucky," Lizzie says.