3.2 - Dinner Arrangements

Start from the beginning

But maybe I was just kidding myself. And maybe, this decision would come to be one of my biggest regrets.

But for now, I didn't care.

For now, I was going to give it a try.

***

I arrived outside of Sydney Moore's tiny apartment on the Lower East Side quicker than expected. Mr. Stevens was clearly an experienced driver, and he took every opportunity to get ahead of the traffic.

I thanked him and stepped out of the car, turning around once he drove off, then paced to the entrance and buzzed the doorbell. After a few seconds, Sydney let me in.

As I moved into the elevator and gazed onto the small mirror in one of the corners, I noticed I was different. Something had changed in me. Something I couldn't quite pinpoint yet, but was visibly there. I raised an eyebrow at my confused self, staring back at me with the same expression. Just as I was starting to overthink, the elevator doors opened, and I decided to not think on it for now. Whatever it was, it could wait.

I stepped out and noticed that Sydney's door was open, so I walked right in. As soon as I did, I heard a distant voice screaming "Avarie!"

I got closer to where the sound was, and saw Sydney in the small studio's kitchenette wearing tiny pajama shorts and a yellow crop top, with her long, dark hair wrapped in a messy bun.

"Hey, Syd." I greeted, putting my clutch on top of the small counter.

She gazed at me and noticed I was wearing the same outfit I had on last night, raising a suspicious eyebrow.

"Smells good, what are you making?"

"Hash browns. Do you want some?"

"No, thanks. I have already eaten."

The silence settled in, both of us standing in the tiny kitchenette, not making a sound.

After what felt like forever, she broke it.

"Where were you last night?"

"I told you."

"No..." She turned around. "You told me you went home. Which is a lie, seeing as you're dressed the same. When did we start having secrets?"

"Never. We don't... It's just not a big deal. You left before I did."

"Yes, and I texted you saying I was going to stay at a guy's house and sent you and Tyler the usual location pin so that you'd know where I was. Why didn't you?"

I crossed my arms and lowered my head, staring at the bottom of the fridge.

"Yeah, I know. I just... I was at a guy's house, too." I blurted it out way too quickly, before chickening out and deciding to make up and excuse.

She dropped the spatula she was holding and pointed a finger at me. "I knew it!"

"Like I said, it's not a big deal. I only went to his house because I forgot your keys."

"Well, I'm glad you're ok. I would've given you mine if you needed them, you know that."

"Yeah, I do. I just didn't want to bother you, and he offered. I slept in his guest room and I left after breakfast, that was all."

Sydney was often so protective of me, ever since we met, and I always thanked her for it. I didn't know how many times she saved me from potentially dangerous situations just by being herself, and I was so thankful for having her in my life. I was never going to take it for granted and I made sure to be the same for her.

"That doesn't sound like every guy in New York."

"He's not like any guy in New York." I corrected her.