Ch. 1: Night Terrors

Start from the beginning

I gently pulled the door open, bracing a flat palm against it to help prevent further noise. I quickly placed myself through it and closed it as silently as I opened it, risking taking a breathe again.

I dared not linger. I gently lifted the front of my dress to expose my bare feet and began to descend the mighty staircase. I scanned the horizon, noting that the sea before me quivered in the moonlight. Small ripples lapped at the shore and offered a symphony that on any other occasion would've brought me relief and peace. Not tonight though. Maybe never again.

I quickly picked up my pace as I padded down the steps. The ocean spray from the rough surf earlier had coated them, making them slick. I looked down and paid close attention to my foot placement, not looking forward as I did so. Big mistake.

I felt my body collide with what felt like a warm statue. A husky chuckle rained down on my ears from above me and my breathe hitched. No. How? My entire body cramped as my muscles ground to a tight stop. It took all my strength to force my head up to look him in the face.

"Gotcha Mousie." He chuckled low.

To someone far more naive it would've sounded melodic, sexy even, but it just added to the fear that gripped me, making my chest tighten and stealing my breathe.

I felt his hand as it ran along my cheek before reaching my chin and forcing my face up. I tried to close my eyes but couldn't. Instead, I was forced to look into two pools of the brightest blue. Even in the moonlight I could see the green and gold flecks that danced around in them. They set above a chiseled nose that set above a pair of lush, plump lips. His cheeks were sharp and his chin was covered in a dusting of white as his neatly trimmed beard hid it.

"My Lady...Please.." I pleaded one more time, causing his lips to pull back and show his perfect straight, white teeth.

"She isn't coming Mousie. Your not her priority. Your nothing to her." He chuckled lowly.

Anger bubbled up inside me at his disrespect of my Lady. Before I knew it, my mouth opened to defend her.

"How dare you. I am the High Priestess of the Temple. My Lady is majestic, mighty and more! Her wit and beauty are incomparable!" I huffed, making him chuckle more.

"Prove me wrong then." He stated.

This confused me. "How?" I demanded.

"Call her here then. Lets see her save you from me." He mocked me.

I faltered. I had been calling her Lady, begging her for salvation. She hadn't come forward yet.

His snicker brought me from my thoughts. "I told you Mousie."

Before I could react his hand was around my throat, stealing my air. Spots soon danced before my eyes and my knees grew weak and began to buckle. He lowered himself with me, forcing me onto my back on the steps as he lowered himself over me. I flung my hands at him, desperately trying to hit him, knock him from me or remove his hand from my neck. Tears sprung to my eyes as I struggled.

He successfully wedged himself between my knees and used his own bodyweight to hold me down and tightened his grip on my throat.

"Easy Mousie, you played a good game, but now it's time for me to claim my prize." He husked in my ear as he ran his tongue from my temple, down my cheek and finally to the side of my neck. He bit me, causing pain to course through me.

Bile rose in my throat as I struggled against him harder. A broken scream escaped my lips and I again begged my Lady for salvation.

I felt his free hand moving up my leg to my thigh, raising my skirt with it. "No!" I strangled out. "Nooo!"