75 | The One With the Library

Start from the beginning

"Go away!" Shree yells angrily. "I'm tired of you playing such cruel tricks on me!"

M A D H A V     R A M A K R I S H N A

Anxiety bursts in my chest and my heart starts hammering. I push the heavy wooden doors of Amma's library and walk inside.

"Chellam!" I call out and I notice her seated in Amma's sofa.

She turns her head and I notice her back turned to me.

"Please go away!" She yells in agony. "You aren't real! You are a figment of my imagination! Stop tormenting me like this!"

"But Shree-" I say, walking towards her.

"My husband is gone. I don't think I'll ever get to see him again." She says weakly. "Can you please go away?"

I sit in front of her. 

"My beloved Chellam." I say as I look into her tear strained face. "I really came back. I came back to you."

"That's what you say every time and disappear as I try to touch you!" She shakes her head looking away. 

"I really came back this time!" I convince her. I grab her hand and place it on my chest - right above my heart.

It takes two loud heartbeats for Shree to realize that she wasn't dreaming.

"M-M-Madhav?" She asks looking into my eyes. "Is it really you?" 

She places her hands on either sides of my face, staring into my eyes, and I stop breathing. Her eyes gleam with tears the moment I nod. I pull her and have her seated across my lap, while she peppers kisses all over my face. A kaleidoscope of vivid and colorful emotions fill the void that I've carried inside me since I last saw her.

I sigh in relief as I bury my face in her soft bosom, wrapping my arms around her. I feel much more safer and happier. I try to contain myself from crying, but the feeling of Shree's beating heart, the softness of her bosom, the sandal scent of her - everything, makes my eyes wet. Shree was running her fingers through my hair. I yearned for several days and nights to feel her loving touch. As her fingers comb through my hair, a soft relaxing wave washes over me. I was finally home.

Shree choked on a sob and squeezed her eyes shut, releasing an endless onslaught of tears.

"No, no, chellam." I consoled her, looking at her with tears pooling in my eyes. "Please don't cry, please."

Shree tried to give me a smile, but within a few little seconds her lips started to wobble, and with no warning she burst into tears again. She turned quickly away, not wanting me to see her face.

"Oh, Chellam." I whisper, and I hold her face, looking adoringly. 

Quickly wiping the drops of tear from my eyes, I smile and run my fingers over her face, remembering the features of her beautiful beautiful face. My hands wandered up, stopping on her cheeks. For a while I held her face, staring into her beautiful black eyes.

One hand went straight to her hair. Fuck, her hair is so soft. I cupped the back of her head.

With a gentle motion, I pulled her closer. Shree leans in, her nose brushing against mine - so slowly and tenderly. Then our lips brushed teasingly, until we were kissing each other. Her hands were firmly wrapped around my neck.

Shree felt herself smile again as we kissed, the kiss compensating for all those months of our separation. We cherished that kiss. The moment was precious and we relished it. It rejuvenated our despaired souls the way a dying man does when he is offered a glass of water. A drop of tear falls from her eyes.