Chapter 9, part 3

They were all dressed alike, loose fitting cargo pants and T-shirts over swimwear. Amanda felt that since most of them were novices at canoeing it was best for them to wear swimwear in case they spilled. She also helped select the slacks, ones with many zippered pockets for pocket knives, granola bars, canteens, matches and other small items.

Connor had wanted matching outfits, to help the pack have a sense of being a team. Aaron had agreed and driven Connor and her into the nearest town to purchase the pants and T-shirts earlier this week.

As they hurried down the path towards the trail head, Amanda had to admit they all seemed more confident. Tanner was still bouncing with excitement, at times, literally. He talked excitedly about the upcoming trip the entire way. His excitement was infectious. Erica and Jonathan were already congratulating themselves on how well this trip was going to be, and trying to guess what it would do for their point total.

At the trailhead they found the other packs already assembled. Three cargo vans were parked there. Each van had a canoe trailer hitched behind it. The trailers held three canoes on each side, bungeed tight to the metal arms of the trailer. The base of the trailer was a wide metal case. They had packed the cases last night with their packs.

The adult packs that would be escorting them north, dropping them at the portage points and monitoring their progress at intervals introduced themselves, went over a few details and then they loaded in the van.

They had been assigned to the second van with Jerry Oleson's pack. Jerry and his pack were twenty and would be the senior pack next year. They were on relatively good terms with Connor's pack. There was some friendly banter and trash talk as they pulled out onto the highway, especially between Erica and girl named Holly, but no real animosity.

That was good. It was over a six hour drive. Six hours of Mitch and crew cutting at them could have destroyed the optimism Connor and she had finally instilled in the pack. It was seven thirty am when they drove through Eu Claire, Brianna's hometown. They bought breakfast at a McDonald's drive through.

Amanda's dream faded from her mind as the others talked, joked and laughed. The morning flew past almost as fast as the trees along the highway as the van headed north towards the Boundary Waters.