Part 2. Mademoiselle Hallthorpe.

Começar do início

"Ahem, I shall be with you in a moment mademoiselle or monsieur". Came a kindly delicate voice, from behind the pink velvet curtain at the bottom of the room. "That's quite alright take as long as you need". Father replied to the voice. Suddenly a oldish woman, sprung her head around from behind the curtain, she had bright blonde hair that reminded me of sunshine, she came out from behind the curtain, staring as though she had seen a ghost. She was wearing a bright pink and green dress, with a pink hat, which was covered in pink flowers. Which to my taste the colours did not match all too well, but I suppose everyone has their own exquisite tastes, I thought to myself. She continued to walk towards us, as she placed her round spectacles up to her nose and peered through them at myself and Father. "Governor Swann, is that you?". She questioned, with her cockney accent, as she stopped about an inch in front of us both. I was amazed, I thought she ought to have been French, from her calling us mademoiselle and monsieur, I was shocked to find that she was from indeed from London.

"Yes it tis Mademoiselle, Hallthorpe and may I say what a pleasure it tis, too see you again, for you have not aged a day". Father teased slightly, whilst reaching forward and placing a kiss upon her outstretched hand. Making her giggle slightly, at father's actions, before turning her attention to me."And whom is this beautiful little trésor?". She asked, whilst once again pronouncing the last word in French. "This is my youngest daughter Anne". Father replied. Suddenly the woman gasped sharply, as she placed her hands up to her face in astonishment, I looked at her, then back at father to get reassurance that she was fine. "Sacrebleu! Tis not the little baby I used to make tiny little dresses for that only fit into the palm of my hand now is it?". She asked. "Yes indeed it tis, she is all grown up now, 17 she is". Father replied. " Oh my 17, I remember when I was 17". She chuckled, whilst beaming brightly at me. "Yes indeed, my she is nothing but the spitting image of her mother". She continued. "Awww, what a beautiful young woman you have turned out to be, your mother would be so proud". She beamed, as she gently cupped my cheeks and stroked them slightly with her thumbs.

"Thank you Mademoiselle". I replied, as I smiled up at her brightly. "Oh call me Muriel, everyone does, whom I am close friends with". She chuckled once more. "Now what tis it that I can do for you fine folk?". She asked. "Well Anne here is in need of her dress, for her sister's wedding day". Father said. Muriel gasped out loud again and dropped the cotton reels out of her hands and they fell all over the floor, my she can be quite dramatic, I thought to myself. "Your oldest girl is to be married!". She asked. "Yes, this afternoon in fact". Father replied. "My oh my, I must say your daughter's are doing good for themselves, one getting married and one betrothed to the Commodore, my how he is handsome".She swooned, batting her eyelashes and placing her hands up to her heart, whilst gazing off into nothing. This made me chuckle at her actions. "Yes indeed he is". I said proudly. "Right, now is there any dress in particular which you had in mind?". Muriel asked, myself and father, as she clasped her hands together excitedly.

"Any type of colour, fabric, or pattern on the dress?". She continued, as she made her way over towards some of the dresses, that were hanging up on the rail and running her hand along them. "Oh well my sister's has the colour scheme of cream and gold and I am to be her maid of honor, so perhaps anything ravishing you may have that looks the part would be spectacular". I asked her fondly. Muriel glanced over to father, smiling before winking at me. "I have just the thing, would you mind following me out to the back and Governor if you wouldn't mind taking a seat we shant be a moment". She kindly said. "Yes of course, very well". Father replied, as he took a seat upon one of the pink velvet chairs, that were lined up against the wall.

I then proceeded to follow Muriel out towards the back of the shop, being careful not to fall over the many large rolls of fabric that she had piled high on the floor. She disappeared ahead of me quite quickly, I had no time to see where she had gone, so I stayed put on the spot until she returned. "Ah here we are". She said boldly, whilst making her way out of a store cupboard with a dust bag in hand, whilst grinning like a cheshire cat. I then proceeded to walk over towards her, as my heart began to race with excitement, at the thought of what beauty lay beneath the dust bag. "Are you ready?". She asked me, like an exicted small child at Christmas. I nodded and grinned widely, whilst she was slowly pulling down the zip. Once the zip was all the way down, she pulled the rest of the bag open, as I gasped in astonishment, the dress that she had picked was indeed incredibly beautiful, it twas a magnificent shade of gold, with magnificent puffed sleeves that was accompanied by a corset shape bodice and the skirt, billowed out perfectly at the bottom.

Too me, this was simply the most beautiful and elegant maid of honor dress, for it matched Elizabeth's colour choices wonderfully and it would not upstage her since she is the bride. "Oh my goodness, Muriel this has to be the most exquisite dress for a wedding that I have ever seen". I told her, as I burst with excitement. She grinned at my compliment. "Would you like to try it on?". She asked, whislt delicately taking it out of the bag. I stood there for a moment, still amazed by thr beautiful dress. "Y-YES!, Yes please that would be wonderful". It took a while but with Muriel's help, I finally got into the dress, Muriel then walked over towards a dust sheet, that was covering a grand mirror and grasped hold of it. "Close your eyes". She whispered to me. "Ready, One...Two...Three". She replied, as I heard her pull the dust sheet from the mirror and it landed on the floor. "Alright, open your eyes". She told me.

I slowly opened my eyes, only to be taking back by my appearance, as I brought my hands up to my mouth in shock. The dress fit me perfectly, twas not to long for me either, since I was still so incredibly short for my age. I began swishing the gorgeous dress back and forth, admiring how it swished and twirled with each movement I made. "Give us a twirl then". Muriel instructed. I giggled at her, as I proceeded to do exactly what she asked me too do, being careful not to fall over in the process. "Sì but this dress does match your hair perfectly too". Muriel said. This made me glance at my hair then back to the dress and nod in agreement with her. "Makes your hair look even more beautiful, makes your beautiful green eyes pop more too". She replied. "Thank you Muriel". I replied, as I squeezed her hand gently.

We were brought out of our little moment, when we both spotted a figure out of the corner of both our eyes, we turned to seem whom it twas, only to find father standing there, with his hands clasped behind his back in his popular pose, as he had tears streaming down his face, his eyes and nose all red and puffy. He took out his handkerchief and blew his nose into, before wiping his eyes. "Oh please do forgive me, for my ghastly appearance, but I just couldn't help notice how beautiful you look Anne". He said, his voice shaky from crying. He sighed heavily, "You look more like your mother each day". "Thank you father". I whispered sweetly, as I moved forward towards him and took his hands within my own. "My, how I wish she could have been here to see you and your sister, how mature and beautiful you both have become". Father continued. "She is with you always Governor". Muriel interjected. "In here". She continued, as she pointed up towards her heart.

"Yes, yes indeed she is". Father sighed, whilst wiping his eyes and clearing his throat, before placing his handkerchief back into his pocket. "Very well Madame and Monsieur, if this dress had taken you fancy, may I wrap it up for you and place it within one of our fine decorative boxes?". Muriel asked. "Yes please thank you very much!". I beamed at her generosity. Muriel was just about to fetch one of the large, pink and green boxes from the store room, before running back. "Oh I almost forgot, this dress also has shoes, a parasol and a hat to match". "Would you like to take these items also, free of charge, of course?". Once Muriel said those words, I stood there with my mouth open like a codfish, glancing between her and father. "Oh no we couldn't possibly not pay for them". Father replied, holding his hands up to his chest in protest. "Oh but I insist, for I have known your family for years and you have been a most loyal customer to me, so it tis the least I can do". She smiled. "Oh thank you ever so much". I replied.

"Yes, well if you wish to change out of the dress, I shall box it up for you and place the other items into it also". She instructed. "And Governor Swann, if you would be so kind as to wait outside for a moment, as your daughter changes". She asked. "Yes of course, very well I shall just be outside". Father replied, before vanishing behind the curtain. Once father was out of the room, I took off the dress and changed back into my own clothes, holding it in my arms, as I waited for Muriel to return with the box. "Here we are!". She exclaimed, whilst slamming a bright green and pink box that was adorned with a bright green bow, onto the table. She then gently took the dress from me and neatly folded it into the box, placing the other items carefully on top of it, before closing the lid and handing it to me.

We both then proceeded to make our way back out into the front of the shop, as we greeted father. "Right everything seems to be in order now Gorvernor, if you would like to make your way over to the till and pay for the dress, that would be marvellous". Muriel asked. "Yes of course, Anne if you wished, you could go outside and hand the box to Rodrick, whom shall place it into the carriage for you and then you can wait for me inside". Father said. I nodded in agreement and made my way out of the shop, bidding Muriel a farewell and thank you for her kindness. I then handed Rodrick, the box and he kindly took it from me and placed it into the carriage, before helping to assist me to step inside of it. Twas not long, before I waited for father to return and join me inside the carriage, we both waved Muriel goodbye and then we were off on our way back towards the house, to get ready for Elizabeth's big day.