(kingdom) Almond x reader

Requested by strawberry_bat, hope you like it!

Note: reader goes by they/them!

One of the unwritten rules of the department was to always have more than one backup plan.

Or, if not, bring someone as your back up, just in case things turned the wrong way.

(Y/N) really regretted not having any of those at that moment. They had handled similar cases before. But for the first time, their plan had failed, and they had taken it as a solo mission.

The cookie looked at the monster boss in front of them, internally gulping for a second.

What should they do now? They were too tired to continue fighting, but also too tired to run away…

Maybe if there was some kind of distrac…

"ALMOND CUFFS!"

In a blink of an eye, the monster boss was on the wrong, entire body paralyzed by some cuffs…

Very familiar cuffs…

"That was close… Are you alr… (Y/N)?"

"Almond?"

The two cookies stared at each other for a few seconds, though their gaze moved at the monster boss as it let out a growl.

"Let's take care of this first, shall we?"

That was how (Y/N) had reunited with their old friend and crush. Even if they never admitted the last part aloud.

The two of them had met a long time ago, back when they were in the boot camp.

For them, it felt like some kind of connection. They just… felt so comfortable around him and, in their eyes, made a pretty good team.

The moment they had parted ways was probably one of the worst days of their lives.

But there they were, sitting on a bench, patiently waiting for him.

They had stayed in contact after the monster boss incident, meeting at least once a week just to talk and catch up.

"It feels… so nice to have him around again" they thought with a smile, gaze moving as they heard him arrive.

"Coffee? I got your usual"

"You already know it?" They ask, a playful smile on their face as they grabbed the cup from his hands.

"You are not that difficult to read, (Y/N)" he said with a chuckle, taking a seat at their side.

They drank their drinks in a comfortable silence, contemplating the sunset lights in the nearby river.

"You know…" 

"Mhm?"

"I have always thought you are very handsome. I still do" they confessed, gaze not moving from the water.

Though, at the corner of their eyes, they saw almond almost spilling his coffee.

"Oh… uh…"

"Is fine, you don't have to answer. I… really wanted to tell you, after all these yea…"

Their gaze finally moved as he took their free hand, and soon their eyes met the familiar blue ones.

"...the day we first met, I could tell you were different. Not only working with you was great, but I also loved having you around. I still do"

"And what I want to say is that I"

The cookie chuckled softly, interrupting him with a soft kiss on the cheek. They couldn't help but smile as the usual serious detective blushed.

"I like you too, Almond"

"Did you catch me outward just to see me blush?

"Can't blame me, you look cute"