Dieciséis

A week later

"Hello?
"Hola mija, I just got a call from Dwayne, he said you can have the job at his barbecue!
Geny says in the other end, I look over at sleeping Oscar and take a deep breath. Hopefully he won't be too pissed.
"Great, I'll take it". I smile, finally something good happening.
"Okay, I'll ask him what time you should go in, and Mija, you got this okay?" Geny says reassuringly before hanging up.
I put the phone down on the night stand sighing. Oscar won't enjoy this but I have no choice, I have to do what I gotta do.

"No. Nope. No way". Oscar says smoking his cigarette outside, I was standing infront of him with my arms crossed. It was hot outside, even with Jean shorts and a tank top I was dying from the heat.
"Oscar..". I sigh, ofcourse I was prepared for his answer but I wasn't gonna accept it.
"I'll talk to you about this later". I push my sunglasses down and walk back inside the house. I didn't want to argue infront if his men. Half of them hate me already for reasons I don't even know.

"Hi baby, you ready to go to school?" I ask Mani as she sits on Oscars bed. We gotta get our own place soon.. I sigh and help mani put her clothes on, then I brush up her hair into two ponytails.
"This will do for today". Sighing, I take her hand and we walk to the living room, on cue, I could hear a honk outside, it was our ride.
I walk with Mani out the house, the guys look at the car suspiciously, until Geny rolled her window down to greet Mani.
"Aye where y'all goin?" Oscar asks now standing, I ignore him and walk to her car, opening the back door, I left Mani get in, the twins greeted me with their smiles. Then I buckle her in, kissing her forehead. "Be a good girl, okay? I love you". I tell her kissing her once more. She just nods and giggles.
I go back to Geny window and thank her for the 100th time.
"No need baby, I'm here anytime, I'll drop her off at 3:45, okay?" Geny says kissing my check before driving off.
I walk back to the house before I could walk in Oscar stops me, grabbing my arm, not hard but a little too tight for my liking.
"You ignoring me now?". Oscar asks like his whole world just fell apart.
"No, let me go". I tell Oscar, giving him a death glare.
"Angelina...." Oscar sighs before letting my go. I give him a questioning look while my arms were crossed.
Oscar gently pushes me inside to get away from his men, and closes the door behind him.
"Angelina I don't want to fight about this.."
Oscar says sitting down the couch, picking up his signature beer.
"There's nothing to fight about, I told you what I wanted to happen, it's going to happen whether you like it or not". I shrug.
"Angelina please..I- Oscar sighs and takes a sip of his beer. "Oscar, I need to get my own life, I've been so trapped of so many years and now I'm free, I want to take advantage of that! Why is it so hard for you?!" I burst out angrily, my own words shocking me.
"Because I don't wanna lose you again!". Oscar yells, standing up, now a sadden Oscar whom stands barely a few inches from my face. He wraps his hands around my waist and I immediately feel my anger slowly fade away, then I felt bad for how I treated him. All this time.. we grew up together, we lived together, we raised Cesar together and then one day, one day I just disappear.. I get it now. Being taken away from my home not only meant I left w did abuelita behind, but Cesar and Oscar too.
"I'm sorry Oscar". Sighing, I pull him in, resting my head in his chest.
"I can't lose you again Hermosa". Oscar whispers in my ear.

Oscar ended up giving in but making sure that Antonio or Bruno is with. That was an argument I couldn't win.
Suddenly my phone rings, I swear if Oscar called me to get another corona-
"Hello?"
"Hola mija, long time no see eh?"
"How did you get my number?" I ask with wide eyes, I look out the window, then close Oscar's door. "I miss you mi hija". My father says in an unbelievable tone.
"What do you want?" I ask annoyed, I haven't spoken to my father in years, not since Rosa, his ex wife kicked me out, and he went to jail.
"I wanna have a meeting with you". He says viciously.
"No". I hang up the phone and block his number.
I refused to be used by my dad..not again please..