Chapter 23

As I walk towards the mansion, I pull out my pack of cigarettes and light one. I need to leave. Mental break or not, Colt can deal with our dad. Right now, I need to go to one of my safe houses and hide. Bychkov can't find me because Alex is right, only one of us will make it out alive.

Tears prick at the corners of my eyes and I push them down. I don't think I've ever been more afraid in my life. My hand shakes as I bring the cigarette to my lips and I bite back the lump in my throat. I don't know what Bychkov wants from me but I doubt it's good. Even if he doesn't kill me, even if he considers me to be in good standing, he'll still make me hurt. He always does.

Nico is leaning against the railing of the patio as I approach donning a perfect suit and a tumbler of whiskey.

"Nico," I say softly as I get closer. He turns quickly to face me and his eyes go wide.

"I can't go to New York," I tell him, "I can't stay here. I need to leave, I'm sorry."

"What are you talking about?" he asks, shaking his head, "and why are you bleeding?"

I glance at my arm, crimson dripping down, and say, "it's not safe."

"Cali," he says softly, reaching an ink covered hand towards me.

"I need to leave," I reiterate, stepping past him towards the house.

"Cali," he exclaims, grabbing my forearm and stopping me, his eyes search my face for an answer he won't receive, "what the fuck is going on?"

"I need to go," I tell him firmly, pulling against his hold.

"Go where?" Nico asks, tightening his grasp on me.

"I can't tell you," I reply simply.

"You can't or you won't?" he pushes, his voice growing dangerous.

I take a shaky breath before replying, "someone's looking for me and I can't let him find me, okay?"

"I dare him to fucking try," he spits out.

"Nico you have no idea what he will do," I tell him, shaking my head, "you don't understand."

"I wont allow him to put a fucking finger on you," he says, stepping closer so our chests touch, "I won't let him hurt you."

"Don't make promises you can't keep," I reply.

"Caliber I swear to fucking God the only person that will ever lay a hand on you is me," he exclaims, his booming voice making the air around us thick. The crystal whiskey glass shatters, the shards imbedded into his fist as drops of blood fall. I look up into his eyes and he releases me.

"We're going back to New York tomorrow morning," he says sternly.

"Nico," I start but he cuts me off.

"I won't fucking let him, do you understand?" he exclaims, "I'll kill him with my bare fucking hands if I have to! You're staying with me. You're safe and I'm going to make sure it stays that way."

I can't do anything other than gape at him. His brows are furrowed and his jaw is set as his eyes flit between my own. I do the only thing I can think of at the moment.

I push up on my toes and connect my lips with his. His one hand cups my cheek as our lips move against each other in a rough kiss. He nips at my lips and I happily allow our tongues to fight. I pull away for the express purpose of breathing and Nico plucks my cigarette from my fingers. He takes a drag before handing it back and leaning against the railing again.

"Where were you?" Nico asks, his gaze focused on the beach.

"What?" I ask with furrowed brows.

"I came out to look for you," he says, nodding towards the vast expanse of empty sand.

"You have a blind spot in your North West quadrant," I tell him, pointing to where I spoke with Alex, "I was over there."

"Why?" he asks.

"I just wandered over," I reply with a shrug.

He doesn't need to know that his security was compromised. He doesn't need to know that Alex tracked me down here.

"Is that where you cut yourself?" he asks, his words are casual but his tone is anything but.

"Yeah," I reply simply, "I should probably wrap this up actually. Your hand too."

"I'm fine," he grunts.

"I'm sure you are," I reply with a light laugh, "but you should still fix that up."

He turns to me and his jaw is set. I believe him when he says he wants to help, even wants to protect, but I can't help the guilt I feel at dragging him into this. He really has no idea what Bychkov is like, what my life is like.

This protective side he has towards me might be the death of him.