50

"The sixth and final game is Squid Game."

They walk through the field, the sun pouring down on them before their doom.

"Let me explain the rules of squid game. One, the attacker must enter the grid, run past the defense, and tap the squid's head with their foot to win."

There was quiet relief in Hae Young's part, knowing that Deok-su's body was better for defense than offense. That was the mistake he made, perhaps there was a sliver of hope somewhere in this inescapable hell.

"Two. The defender must push the attacker out of the grid to win."

They approach the grid, countless and countless plans wheeling in Hae Young's mind. How does she get out of this? Will she even get out of this?

"Three. If by any chance, one player is unable to proceed with the game, the last one standing wins."

The guard pauses, finally turning to them. Sang-Woo faces Hae Young with unwavering eyes. "What do you mean... by 'unable to proceed'?"

"It refers to a player's death."

There was a quick flicker in his eyes that Hae Young couldn't point out, but it was because her vision was cloudy with tears ready to pour. There is knowledge in their exchanged glances, the fear of the obvious truth. It threatened to spill from the rims of her eyes, but she couldn't. Not right now. Right now, she has to play. She has to protect him.

"Now, let the game begin."

The defense walked up to their posts, walking within the bounds though there was no fire in their steps. The attackers stay out of the bounds, hopping only on one foot. Hae Young struggled a bit, putting most of her weight on her good leg. There was hesitance in her movements, but determination. She knows what she must do.

Hae Young and Deok-su take either side, where she faced Sae-byeok, and he faced Sang-Woo. He smirks at the man. "What a shame." Deok-su says lowly. "I wanted to face that little shit myself."

There was a moment of stillness; thoughts and prayers in that split second before the attack. Sang-Woo takes his coat off, and so does Deok-su, then he begins the haphazard hopping around the perimeter, trying to get past Sang-Woo.

On the other end of the grid, Hae Young stares reluctantly at the kid, both women in a stance though neither had the intention to attack. They stood there for a while, waiting, stalling. It was when Sang-Woo was audibly struggling with keep Deok-su out of the grid that made Hae Young run past Sae-byeok, though not without a little bit of a struggle. The kid was fast and nimble, and Sang-Woo was right. The injury on her leg didn't seem to help her at all.

"You fucking asshole--"

Deok-su uses all of his body weight, pushing past the taller man as Sang-Woo did his best to absorb the hitting blow. It was when Deok-su lost his balance and fell to the floor when Sang-Woo was ready to attack, though he took that as an opportunity to grab a fistful of sand, throwing it right into Sang-Woo's eyes. He yells in pain.

"Sang-Woo--"

In his blindness, Deok-su was able to get back on his feet, walking to the other side of the grid. He mutters with a menacing smile. "The secret inspector."

Hae Young was torn, looking back at Sang-Woo then at Deok-su, but Sae-byeok was persistent with her goal, defending her turf as much as she could. They all had their motives and their reasons to get out of here with the cash prize, and they can't lose sight of that now.

Hae Young was reluctant, yet she knew what she had to do, anyway. Sae-byeok was blocking her path to get to the other side of the grid. As quickly as she could, she reached for the inner pocket of her coat. And with one quick swipe, crouching, she slashed on the surface of Sae-byeok's leg. She cut her trousers, broke skin. She winces as the kid yelps in pain. "I'm sorry." She quickly mutters before running across the path where Deok-su had once stood.