48

Somehow, Hae Young always finds herself drenched in rain at her most vulnerable and desperate, and walking around Yeouido rain-soaked wasn't as charming as she remembered. It was a lot different to walk in the rain alone and be chased by loan sharks. This is what her life had amounted to.

She tries Sang-Woo's phone once again, ringing, and ringing, though nothing. She sighs in frustration, wondering what he's doing in America, and what time it already was.

The route that leads to his apartment was a path that her mind, heart, and legs had already memorized. From the station, down a few streets, turning a few corners over, once in a while checking behind her to see if her pursuers had noticed that she went all the way to Yeouido to hide. But so far, in the two hours she spent hiding, no one had really caught up to her. Not in the station, not in the train, and perhaps and hopefully, not in Yeouido.

It was 8 p.m. at that point. She calculated the hours in California. By then, it's around 4 a.m. Sang-Woo would still be asleep. But as she rounded the final corner of her route that led to his apartment building, Hae Young stopped at her tracks at the sight. She couldn't tell if it was a mistake or pure coincidence, or that Sang-Woo himself had something to hide. Secrets upon secrets piling onto each other. The sight of him exiting his apartment building like it's a normal day, a small umbrella in hand. As he approaches the landing of the lobby that raised no roof, he opens it and begins his walk down the street.

Why is he here?

Her heart pounds loudly in her chest, not knowing what to feel. Standing meters away from him, he wouldn't recognize her at all. Not in the rain, and not in the night. So she keeps that distance until she feels she is far enough, and begins walking down the same route he took to follow him to a place she dreads to see.

What was Cho Sang-Woo hiding from her?

He eventually leads her to a place not too far from her apartment, in a quaint little coffee shop around the block. She watches him enter, seeing a clear view of him from the display windows. He doesn't stop to order a drink at the counter, but instead heads straight for the tables. He was there to meet with someone. Her eyes follow him until eventually stopping as he takes a seat in front of a woman she's seen years ago. Her heart drops. They begin talking. She could not understand, but she just watches anyway, standing in the rain for minutes on end. It was a serious talk, no one smiled or greeted each other.

She takes her phone out once again, giving it one last time. She taps on Sang-Woo's contact, giving him a call as she stands there watching him fish out for his phone. He takes a look momentarily. Su-bin says something. He sets the phone down and doesn't answer.

What the hell.

She watches some more, more words exchanged. Beyond the display glass only silence and the deafening sound of the city. She is in the unknown, beyond the circle and bounds Sang-Woo had set her in. She doesn't know him. They don't know each other at all. This is what 5 years had turned them into. Cynics.

It took them a moment to close the conversation. Su-Bin was the one who stands and leaves. Sang-Woo sits there, dejected. Hae Young gives him one last call, he finally picks up.

"Hey." His shaky voice was evident through the looking glass, hesitant, hiding something.

"I'm sorry I couldn't answer your calls earlier. I just woke up--"

She drops the call. He sits there confused, staring back at the screen of his phone. It takes him a while to finally notice the figure standing far from the small building, rain-soaked and betrayed. For the first and last time, he had been caught in his lies.