25

"I think I should go..." Hae Young offers, setting her cup down as she stands from his couch. "I might be overstaying my welcome..." She chuckles dryly, though the hurt was evident in her voice no matter how much she tried to suppress it.

"You should stay. " Sang-Woo insists, but Hae Young shakes her head. She courteously picks up the mugs on the coffee table, walking past him to his little kitchen island, setting the dishes in the sink.

"I wouldn't want to stay if you planned on having other guests--"

''--She's not a guest, she also lives in the building." Sang-Woo explains. "She just lives a floor above me."

"Still, you might have other plans."

Hae Young hadn't even realized how cold her tone had become, stopping to look at Sang-Woo apologetically, but then she took it back. She was upset, she was envious. She has every right to be, but she couldn't get mad. He chooses to be who he wants to be with.

"I don't want to keep myself here for too long..." She tries to push past him, past the archway that bordered his kitchenette and living room, but he doesn't let her go. He gently circles his arms around her waist, leading her back into the kitchen in a way that she's trapped between him and the kitchen counter.

"You're upset." He finally says. "Please, just tell me why."

There was a lump in her throat, she couldn't speak. But even though her airway was clear, there was no possible way to put her thoughts and feelings into coherent words. She sighs, closing her eyes. She tried to fish out the first word that came into her head.

"You're my best friend." She says shakily, now realizing how weighty it was to say it. "You're my best friend." She repeats again, though Sang-woo just looks down at her in utter confusion. She scoffs at his expression, pushing his arms away to get through. She paces around his kitchen, trying to think of what to say.

"Is it because of Su-bin?"

Hae Young pauses. Yes, and no, she wanted to say, but she couldn't explain why. So she just turns around, not wanting to see his eyes, and nods.

She hears him sigh. Sang-woo leans against the kitchen counter, shaking his head, but then a grin forms on his face. He chuckles.

"Are you laughing?" She snaps back at him. "Stop laughing!" She cries, her cheeks turning crimson.

"Are you jealous of her?" He asks Hae Young. "Honestly," He finally tones his voice down. "Are you?"

There's that lump in her throat again, for some reason she has an answer to that, but she also doesn't.

"Whatever, you can be with you want to be with--"

"--But I'm not with her." He retorts.

"Why?"

"Because I don't like her."

His short, direct responses only made her even more frustrated. "Why?" She pressed.

"Because I don't want to be with her--"

"--Why?" She repeats again, voice higher and denser. It was when her voice broke that she realized how much emotion pooled in the rim of her eyes, weighing on her chest. She needs to know why, why he doesn't like her, why he doesn't like the women who come in and out of his life, and why she seems to be the only one who stayed. Why, why, why...

"Because she's not you."

Silence. There was her answer, but somehow she couldn't comprehend it. She chokes back her emotions, burying them back deep into her heart, but it wouldn't go. It just stayed there, heavy, and immensely suffocating.