7

Hae Young hated it when it rained.

More particularly, she hated the wetness it came with and how the puddled streets would soak her socks. But this particular night, she was just miserable.

She worked the late shift, got caught in the rain with no umbrella. And just when she thought that she was home, her keys were nowhere to be found in her bag.

It was 11 pm when she ducked into a bus shed soaking wet with rain. It was too late to ask anyone if she could lodge for the night, and too broke to book a hotel. So tonight she decided to sleep in a bus shed and pray with all her luck that she makes it until the morning.

This is it, she thought, this is as bad as it gets. Thunder strikes as the rain pours harder. Hae Young mentally tells herself not to cry, and that there's no use to crying at this point. Just wait until the day when the landlady is up, ask for spare keys, and make sure she doesn't get mugged in this bus stop. What is perhaps the worst thing, however, is the loneliness she feels as she looks around. There was no one in that area of Gwanak-gu in that hour.

"Ah, shit." Hae Young hisses, wiping the tears that fell on her face as she forcefully holds them back. As if there's anyone watching her. She tells herself that there's no point in feeling embarrassed when there's no one there.

"Hey."

She jumps on her seat, looking up to see a man looking down at her in concern. She knows him, she thought.

"Are you alright?"

"Yes." She sniffed, rushing to gain her composure. "Yes, I am."

Though he didn't seem at all convinced. He ignored the tears and assessed the surroundings. He shifts awkwardly.

"Well, I don't know if this will help you but there are no buses that will come for you at this time of night." He tells her blatantly.

"I know that." Hae Young blinks. "It's just...I forgot my keys, and my umbrella--" She laughs in embarrassment, why is she explaining all this to a guy she barely knows?

"Look, I just have nowhere to go, and I'll just wait out here 'til morning." She sniffs once again.

He hesitates, but Hae Young interrupts him before he could even speak.

"And no, I don't need your pity. I'll be fine here alone."

He stared at her in sympathy, or so she guessed. She couldn't really tell when the eyes hidden behind his glasses were cold and unreadable.

"Are you sure?"

"A hundred percent. Have a good night, sir."

*********

"Eomma, I'm home!" He yelled, closing the umbrella as he entered the quaint little house in the streets of Ssamung-don.

"Sang-woo, is that you? Why did you come home so late--"

His mother comes down, though pauses at the sight of a girl.

"You're..."

"She's just my friend." He sighs. "And she needs a place to stay for tonight. She got locked out in the rain."

Hae Young's cheeks heat up. He didn't have to put it that way.

"Locked out?" His mother cries out in disbelief. "Oh dear-- Oh, you're soaking. And you must be hungry?"