13

Everyone faced the wall, hands up and weapons dropped on the ground as the guards came over to pat them down individually. 101 was caught with a knife in his pocket, but had no further consequences other than taking it from him. Everyone else who hid crawled out from the corners of the room and from under the beds, where everything was a mess. The bodies that littered the room were carried out in ribboned boxes, driven away to what they could only imagine were the darkest, decrepit chambers in this place. The aftermath was the calm amidst the chaos. The bunk beds were a mess, and there is blood everywhere. No one bothered to clean it up.

In the end, there weren't many people left, but the prize money only increased from there on, displaying it to everyone on the screen. There was a satisfied smile on 101's face.

After the inspection, everyone huddled together in groups, silent, anticipating what hell will be unleashed on them next.

Hae Young found herself together with the same group of men, 067 being a new addition, all together in Gi-hun's bunk. There was not much trust there, at least not yet, but the desperation for survival was evident in the herd and with that; slivers of human decency was present in the silence of this inhumane game.

"Are you alright?" Gi-hun asks the old man. He seemed to be the only one who truly cared about anyone else in this group; altruistic, selfless. His core self. "You climbed up those beds. That was dangerous."

"We were worried because we couldn't find you." 199 added. Though 001 only stayed silent.

"It's a relief none of us were badly hurt." Sang-woo sighs, then looks over at Hae Young. "Thanks for saving us back there."

She just gives him a slight nod. Gi-hun smiles at her gratefully. 067 sat beside her, still, silent.

"Why don't we take this opportunity to exchange names?" Gi-hun softly suggests. "Come to think of it, we don't even know each other's names."

"I know your name." 199 tells him. "You're Ssangmun-dong."

Gi-hun just chuckles.

"That's not my name. That's the town where I'm from. My name is Seong Gi-Hun." He tells him. "Seong Gi-hun from Ssangmun-dong."

199 looks down in embarrassment.

"How about you, what's your name?" Hae Young adds, lifting back his spirits. 199 smiles at her.

"Ali." he says. "Ali Abdul."

"Which country are you from?" Gi-hun asks him.

"Pakistan." He answers.

"Pakistan?" Gi-hun knits his brows.

"It's right above India." Sang-woo tells him.

"Ah, right." Gi-Hun nods. He turns back to Ali with a grin. "Of course he knows. Did you know my friends here are graduates from SNU--"

"--I'm Moon Hae Young." Hae Young interrupts, pushing the narrative away from SNU and back to Ali. She then turns to Sang-woo with a knowing look.

"Right." Sang-woo clears his throat, picking up her signal. "I'm Cho Sang-Woo."

Ali just nods, then everyone turns behind them. All eyes land on the silent 067.

"What?" She stares back. "Do I have to say mine, too?"

"Well, yeah. We're all on the same side now." Gi-hun tells her. "We at least need to know each other's names to build trust."

067 sighs and looks away.

"Kang Sae-byeok." She says.

"Sae-byeok." Hae Young repeats. "That's a pretty name."

Gi-hun scrunches his nose. "Doesn't suit you though."