Fearing the worst

He'd left me again to talk to Callum, I whimpered and hugged the pillow tighter. It was nice and cool against me.

He returned later, Callum blocking the toilet door. Alex tried to pull me out but I held strong, whimpering in fear. I couldn't help at that point to imagine my father yanking me from my hiding spot behind the couch by my hair.

"Pepper. Come out so we can discuss what you did wrong, then the punishment is over" he instructed. I had started hyperventilating terror coursing through me.

"Pepper. Come out" he commanded a bit more firmly, I didn't want to make the punishment any worse. I crawled and shook horribly.

He gently lay his hand on my back making me flinch.

I shrieked in terror as he suddenly picked me up. I screamed as he held me still on his lap. Callum came over and stroked my hair. I couldn't move.

They stuck by me until I'd cried out enough to make my voice hoarse. A guard had peaked in before being swiftly told to leave.

Hands gently glided over my shaking body. I sobbed into Alex's chest, waiting for the pain to start.

"You were locked up for a day, because you broke a rule and left the room." He explained, his voice gentle in my ear.

I screamed hoarsely as he handed me to Callum, I couldn't hear what Alex was doing.

He came back in his sleepwear, his boxers. He took me back from Callum, I didn't scream now.

"Thanks bud. Think it's time we got some sleep" muttered Alex, Callum could be heard walking away. The light turned off and I whimpered fearfully and he pulled me into bed with him.

He hugged me close and shushed my whimpers and terrified sounds.

The morning came quick. My head hurt from crying for so long and Alex was singing softly to me. I've never heard him sing and the song was new to me.

"Morning spitfire. Feeling better?" He asked, I shook my head and buried it in his chest. He laughed and got up, quickly getting ready and doing something with the cage.

"All set up! We'll have breakfast and you can set yourself up." He said.

The food was nice and the water cold. He isn't seeming to give me bad food after my fit last night.

I went into my cage without waiting, the cage was soft again and the blanket and pillow set up neatly.

He left to go out with Dalton I passed out waking up to go toilet with my headache dulled. I sat in my cage bored and missing my book.

I knew I'd lose it, I shouldn't have gotten attached.

He came back later and opened the cage. I crawled out and lay on his bed as he stroked my back and seemed deep in thought.

"I think Dalton gave me a.... Is something missing? Wait, you're not drawing?" He asked. I simply nodded.

"You mustn't be feeling up to it" he muttered.

"Anyway. Dalton gave me a new idea on how to work this out. So maybe do you want to talk to me? Tell me what you worry about me doing?" He asked.

"It's already happened" I whimpered. He paused petting and pulled me closer.

"What was that?" He asked.

"I lost something I shouldn't have cared about" I whimpered. He looked around now.

"Wait, did you lose the sketchbook?" He asked. I gave him a confused look, he took it, why did he even ask that.

He peaked around the bed and picked up the book, dropping it in front of me.

"Found it!" He said with a big smile. My eyes teared up and slowly pulled the book closer.

"You didn't take it away?" I asked. He seemed confused.

"No! It's your book. What, did they used to take things you like?" He asked, I slowly nodded.

"I see. I won't take it away, I promise" he mumbled. I cried pitifully, happy, happy to trust his word.

He laughed seeing the smile on my face and the quiet thank yous I littered into my crying.

I fell asleep beside him, cuddling my book and pressing my head against his side. The next morning I was excited to go back into my cage. He laughed as I gulped down my breakfast and water, rushed to the toilet and went into the cage.

I quickly opened the pages and smiled at my pictures. I opened a new page and began to draw he left and the days faded as he came back always in a good mood. I guess Dalton was nice.

He always made sure to pat me and look at my pictures, giving the book back straight away.

He'd talk to me and address his worries with being prince. I didn't understand the most of it.

He said he wanted to encourage me to talk about my worries by talking about his.

"Is this working?" He asked, I laughed and cuddled against him.

"Your worries are so interesting. I'm just worried about getting in trouble and getting hurt" I muttered. He stroked my back.

"Is that so... Remember what I had you promise. Be sure to let me know if you feel like you're going to be hurt" he told me softly. I murmured and pressed against him.

"I promise to hit you if you look like you'll hit me" I told him, he stroked my back some more and pulled me into a massive hug.

"That's my Pepper. I'm proud of you" he told me.