000

|| Prologue ||

The DedSec engineer known as Wrench walked into Gary's Games & Glory, a small game store located just west of Mission Dolores Park, tucked away right in the middle of San Francisco, California, with a sleek silver laptop tucked under his arm.

His unique mask, spiked with a visual LED heads-up display for eyes, held a dull expression as he slipped somewhat unnoticed by the patrons of the store into the back, where the Hackerspace resided.

DedSec San Francisco's main base of operations.

Upon entering the Hackerspace, Wrench scanned the basement finding it exactly the same as it was when he left—walls covering every single inch of available space with Sitara's art, computers and technology and random computing parts scattered around like it was a free-for-all.

The first thing he noticed was Sitara and Marcus hovering over Josh's shoulders, who was sitting at the table on his laptop, furiously typing up string after string of code.

Raymond was sitting across from Josh, also hacking away at the ctOS 2.0 interface, the big bad guy DedSec was trying to take down for the betterment of the people.

They were probably going over some more of Marcus's ideas for dealing with Blume.

Everyone was present right in front of Wrench, all except for one person. Wrench's little brother, Spectre.

Walking over to his friends, Wrench's display switched to question marks as he looked around the Hackerspace, looking to spot Spectre.

"Wrench's back! How'd it go, man?" Marcus asked, his voice catching Wrench's eye. Noticing that his best friend had returned, he stood up and walked over to the spiked male, pulling him into a hug, which Wrench graciously accepted.

"Easy as pie, M." Wrench replied in his iconic, high-pitched, robotc-toned voice, holding the computer he had stolen out in front of Marcus's face.

"Hell yeah! This is perfect!" Marcus beamed, reaching for the laptop. Before he grabbed it, however, Wrench pulled it back out of Marcus's reach, his eyes flipping to exclamation points.

"Nu-uh!" Wrench barked, "We can't debrief 'till we're all here."

Marcus pulled back with a nod. "You right, you right."

"So, where's Spec?" Wrench asked, his kaomojis question marks. Josh perked up from his laptop, which was completely covered in hundreds of lines of code.

With a gesture of his thumb, he pointed to the desk Spectre started using when working on something, the one that used to be Horatio's.

Following where Josh was pointing to, Wrench saw his younger brother hunched over the desk, head buried in his tattooed arms, completely passed out.

"He fell asleep roughly an hour after you left." Sitara said. Wrench let out a hum, getting a mischievous idea as he sauntered over to his brother's sleeping figure.

Without warning, Wrench slammed his fist onto the desk, right next to Spectre's head, starting the young man awake. Spectre jolted up, his own display of red LEDs as exclamation points. Blinking, he turned to Wrench, his display slanting to an unamused picture.

"Hello, Wrench." He said with a hint of slurred venom, obviously not at all amused by his older brother's antics.

"Mornin' Little Bro! Sleep well?" Wrench coaxed.

Spectre yawned, "The fuck you think?" He replied in a similar, yet slightly deeper, modified voice to Wrench.

Wrench and Spectre were of a different breed. The two were similar in many ways, yet they were also as different as night was to day. It caused them to clash at times, a lot of times, but the bond they had as siblings was far too aged and strong to be damaged by petty bickering.