09

A second wave, this time a dark orange one, spread out in a circle from where Gillian was standing, forming a thin layer over everything that had come into contact with magic recently. Hard to believe but it wasn't particularly much. Significantly less than expected. This created a beautiful trail where magic was everywhere. On the way between all the halls, only five of the light balls came back and those were the ones that must not have found anything. Accordingly, the others were still on the search.

"We've got company," Hunter whispered, but he didn't elaborate, preferring to keep an eye out for the orbs or any sign of the elusive wizard, "So the 'no magic' thing seems to be taken overly seriously by MACUSA."

"Do you want to or should I?" as Hunter made no reply, Gillian dissolved into a pitch black cloud, which then contracted, and reappeared on one of the rooftops, of the numerous warehouses behind them, "Well, let's see who our pursuer is."

At the edge of the warehouse, Gillian crouched down, clutching her wand with both hands, and took a rough survey first. Except for Hunter, some dockworkers, and fishermen, there was no one else to be seen. After some time of silent observation, she pulled up the left corner of her mouth and soberly straightened up. Of course. Emphatically slow, she turned on her heel, pressed her lips together and began to nod knowingly and at the same time appreciatively. A really good move. Cheap but good.

"Are there any problems?" asked Gillian with an innocent air, all the while twirling her wand between her fingers, "I certainly hope not."

"From the infractions you two have committed since you've been here, there's no trouble," Graves replied and already the first flash flew at Gillian, which she simply brushed aside, "Wizarding in public and your sign in the sky that could be seen from all over the city. Does Grindelwald have a new group of followers?"

"Do I look like I'm following a third-rate wizard?" the first three lightning bolts Gillian hurled at Graves one right after the other bounced off an invisible wall but he already wasn't expecting the fourth and slid back a few feet as a result, "There's going to be someone far more powerful than Grindelwald. Be that as it may, there's nothing you can do about it. Grindelwald will be responsible for a few more deaths until he is finally defeated. A few more years and then it will be over. After that, more years later, the real reign begins."

"A clairvoyant you are now, too," Graves could have done without this taunt, even though he could ill know what the coming years would be like, "Then surely you can tell me where Grindelwald is at present and who will defeat him."

"What do I gain by telling you? Nothing. If his history is interfered with, then someone else's history will never be written. I don't want to be responsible for that," after Gillian hurled more curses at Graves, the familiar cloud of smoke formed behind her, in which she is about to dissipate, and hurled one last curse at him, "Avada Kedavra."

Whether Gillian had hit or not, she didn't know. It was relative. In the end, this nice little conversation was solely about buying Hunter enough time to track down this wizard. Ten grand was enough dough to get a room and get by for now.  Especially since there wasn't even a solution for getting back to the twenty-first century.