17

Paris

The Circus had already arrived in Paris not a day later, the tents long since pitched and settled for the next few days. Also the flyers announcing the show and creatures had long been distributed and hung on the walls, the magical world of France.

In the square where in a good fifty years construction will begin on the pools and Pyramide du Louvre, Gillian sat with a cup of tea in her hands, watching the people pass by. Ever since she had first read about the history of France, she had wanted to sit here one day and then wander through the Louvre exhibit.

"Excuse me," a woman with a French accent interrupted Gillian, who was deep in thought, and joined her on the bench where she crossed her legs, "I heard you were blessed with the gift of clairvoyance. I was told to come and get you. Someone is extremely interested in meeting you in person and getting to know you."

"Not interested," after these words Gill took a sip of her tea, letting the liquid move from her right cheek to her left and swallowing it with a furrowed brow, "Whoever your boss is, tell him his interest honors me, possibly, but he should find someone else. I don't care who he is either. I'm off duty."

"When it comes to the welfare of the Wizarding Society, neither we witches nor wizards are ever free," the Frenchwoman replied in a dull and calm voice, causing Gill to give her a sobering look and place the empty cup, beside herself and the witch on the bench, ready to go, "It is up to us to act. We are capable of it and should not merely watch it all perish."

Waiting. Waiting. Wait. Just wait. In a moment it would come. Gillian strolled leisurely across the forecourt towards the Seine, her eyes glancing over her shoulder every now and then without turning her head, and a smile graced her lips as she noticed the Frenchwoman rise from the bench.

The disadvantage with experienced witches and wizards was that they didn't need to cast a spell again. It had to have been the Incarcerus the witch hurled at Gill, but with a quick flick of her wand she deflected it with Protego and sent the Impedimenta after it with the same wave of her hand.

"Normally, I'd be using my favorite curse on you right now, which I'm ashamed to admit is the same curse my loopy aunt likes to use as well," Gillian hissed through her teeth, pulling down the corners of her mouth and standing in front of the immobilized witch, "You and I have a problem right now. Here's what it looks like. Casting spells in public, this is called and we are forbidden to do so, as you should be well aware, so the question now comes to me. Do we let a witch burn, in that case you, or do I let you go free and we obliviate people and you get right to the point of what you want from me? I really like the Imperius curse and over the years it has become one of my best curses. Blink once yes, twice no. Make up your mind."

It should be clear what the decision was.