07

First, Mister Graves twirled Hunter's black wand, tapped it with his own, and when nothing happened, muttered a few unintelligible words as he did so, but nothing happened then either. Wordlessly, he handed the wand back to Hunter and then examined Gillian's snow-white wand at length, eyebrows drawn together. Oh my God, the wood of the wand was white, so this witch must have something to hide. After another tap with his wand, with nothing happening either, the murmur followed again and the tip, began to glow green.

"Interesting but nothing noticeable," though Graves held her wand out to Gillian, however when she went to take it he withdrew it, "What is noticeable though is the wand itself. Did something happen to it, or did it look like this from the start? Elm, I guess."

"Yew," Gillian corrected sugary-sweetly, pulling her wand from Graves' fingers emphatically slowly, "Thirteen inches and a core of thestral tail hair. And yeah, crap with the optics. I know, thanks to an accident at work. Doesn't come good but can't be helped. All questions answered?! Excellent. So have a wonderful day and hopefully, you'll move on to more serious issues. Has me..... I think I speak for him right along when I say how pleased we were to meet you."

"Glad to hear it," Graves replied with a smile that couldn't have sounded more forced and turned to Kavenor one last time in closing, "As soon as you have the documents, want them immediately."

With those words, Graves let the door fall shut behind him and Mister Kavenor let out a relieved snort.

"Must have heard of him?" with Hunter still engrossed in the ominous folder full of wanted sheets, Gill took a cursory glance inside and then turned back to Mister Kavenor.

"Percival Graves. Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.... ", not a single book Gillian had read on American history had mentioned that name, so Kavenor's explanation was helpful, interlocking his fingers on the tabletop, ".... as well as the President's right hand. Seraphina Picquery. His father was among the first aurors in the country."

"Another one of those sons who could only build his success on the success of his own father..... rather owns it," amused, Hunter let his gaze slide to Gillian because it probably sounded familiar, "Thank the family. You know it somewhere. Gillian?"

"Oh shut up," Gillian grumbled half-heartedly, looking over at Hunter, who she smacked with the back of her hand against her ribs thanks to his provocative smile, "Besides, it's not my fault that my dad, you know, yeah. Going down that road. At least I'm doing better than my brother. Not to mention our aunt, don't even get me started on her..... uah. Still, though, it's something else."

You're born into a family and everything that goes with it. Not to be chosen.