The Daily Escapades Of The Uesugi Family - Kohana Entry 1

Start from the beginning

Sasuke walked in late and Kensuro pulled him over to sit next to him. Yukimura's face twisted with mild jealousy. The head of the Nokizaru told him of new ninja tricks that he had learned and Sasuke promised to teach them to the young lord in the future. Meanwhile, Y/n looked mildly annoyed knowing she would have to deal with even more of her son's tricks.

After breakfast, everyone went off to work or to learn for the day.

A while later and Kohana had reached a good stopping point in her studies and decided to go for a walk around the castle. She heard her brother's laughter coming from the training hall and went to see what was going on. Inside Kenshin happened to also be taking a break and her mother was there too and, in the middle, Kensuro was training with Kenshin. Recently Kensuro had hit a stage in his childhood where he wanted to grow up fast and become a samurai and he had taken to sparring with his father and learning the art of the sword.

Her mother noticed her when she entered the room and called her over to her side. Kohana went over and looked to the middle of the room, watching as her brother became increasingly more exhausted while her father never broke a sweat.

"Don't you think your brother is improving, Kohana?" her mother asked and looked down at her daughter. The love for her child's successes was clear in her eyes.

Kohana did not have much knowledge but she nodded anyways and looked back to the match. It hit her then as she watched her father. She always knew everything about all different things but sword fighting was not one of them. Just the idea of being ill-informed about a subject or topic was something she could just not stand. She was more of an etiquette and studying girl but surely, she could study the sword and how to wield one and end up being good at it.

Kohana left the room shortly after, almost running down the hallway and breaking her code of being perfect at all times. She was impatient to get back to her books. Remembering that she did not have books on swords in her room or anything that requires a physical action, she took a detour to the archives and selected a few books that seemed to have decent knowledge of swords of the organised shelves.

Pouring over the books for the rest day she didn't even realize how late it had gotten when her mother came in to tuck her into bed. She hadn't even realized that she had skipped dinner and read right through it. She hid the book quickly and said goodnight to her mother and then her father who came in afterwards. As soon as they were gone, she hopped out of bed to fetch the book from its hiding place and took it back to bed with her. She stayed up all night reading the books and by the time morning came she was determined to start her training as well.

As soon as the new day was underway and everyone was off doing their duties. She made sure to catch her father on one of his breaks. She led him to the training hall which was already occupied yet again by her brother and her mother watching over him. Kenshin was unclear over what purpose she could possibly have to take him to this room. They stopped in the middle of the polished but scuffed floor.

"I want to learn how to wield a sword and I want you to teach me father" as soon as the words left her mouth the whole room became silent and everyone listened in with curiosity and worry. She watched in confusion as her father's face twisted and multiple emotions were displayed on it before settling on just one.

"No" the answer that her father gave her was firm and final and she started to become annoyed. Her mother watched in trepidation and her brother stood silently.

"Why can't I?, you are teaching Kensuro so why can't you teach me as well?" she asked befuddled. Y/n being her mother meant that the young girl got to do whatever she wanted even if it went against the norms for girls in this era, well that is until now.