prologue

16 YEARS EARLIER

The ten year old soon to be brother, Max, was sitting outside with his grandparents, kicking his legs in boredom.

His friend, Alex, arrived soon at the hospital to accompany him with his parents, Max's parents best friend and business partner.

In the labor room Laura was screaming profanities at Vincent, her husband, while Vincent was trying to not agitate his wife by breathing as quietly as possible.

"This is all your fault." She screamed at him as another contraction hit her even harder than the last one.

"I'm sorry." Vincent squealed out, his hand starting to feel numb from the constant squeezing. His hand feeling the consequence of his broken condom.

"I can see the head. Give me one more push. " The midwife screamed.

Laura let out one last agonizing scream before passing out.

The newborn screamed at the top of her lungs.

The next things happened in a blur for Vincent.

The doctors were saying something, pushing him out of the room.

"What happened?" Carl, Vincent's best friend, asked looking concerned.

"She flat lined." He whispered, still in shock.

"What." Carl asked, hoping he heard him wrong.

"She flat lined. She flat lined." Vincent said shaking Carl by him bicep.

"What about the baby?" Carl's wife- Linda- exclaimed covering her mouth.

"I don't know. She's alive. She was screaming. Laura-" Vincent was panicking when Carl cut him off, trying to reassure him.

"- will survive. Don't panic. The doctors will bring her back." He said and engulfed him in a big hug.

Vincent broke down crying when reality settled in that he might lose the love of his life. That Max might be motherless.

Admist the panic no one noticed a doctor carrying a crying infant from the delivery room.