Part 1. So Much For My Happy Ending

Mulai dari awal

We bounded down the landing, our steps echoing and bouncing of the walls, with each step that we took. We ran down the stairs so quick, I couldn't even remember coming down them, we must have ran so fast, it felt like we glided down them instead. We made it out of the house and into the courtyard, were it was alive with the hustle and bustle of maids and servants, all scurring around like frightened little mice, whom had just seen a big hungry cat. They all seemed to be flustered and in a hurry, to help get things organised for Elizabeth's and Will's big day. Myself and Elizabeth turned to each other inquisitively, however both of us sharply turned our attention back towards the chaos in front of us.

"H-h-how long did you say it twas until the big day?". I asked Elizabeth, a little bit amazed and shocked, whilst not taking my eyes of one of the servants, whom was sat frantically thinking in the corner of the yard, before looking up nervously around at everyone doing there job and then scribbling things down upon his bit of parchment with his quill. "Oh erm the big day is tomorrow". She replied, pursuing her lips together and raising her eyebrows, whilst looking down to the ground sheepishly, not looking directly at me. "T-t-tomorrow". Was all I had managed to stammer out. I was a little taken back, by the sudden drop of my heart, that felt like it had sunk all the way to the bottom of my feet, as within all of my thoughts that were consuming me, I had forgotten that it twas infact tomorrow, that me and James had ought to have been married.

"Oh Anne, I am truly sorry, I know that tomorrow was supposed to be yours and James's special day and I know that it twas rude of me and Will to take it's place, but with James gone, Father thought it twas best if our ceremony should go ahead, to avoid unhappy guests whom would have travelled so far to get here, only to turn up disappointed that there would be no wedding after all". Elizabeth said quietly. I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath, trying to not let more of my emotions come out all at once again, as I was truly exhausted from all the crying, I had been recently doing. However, this time it twas more than just sorrow that was consuming me, but a mix of rage, confusion, anger, jealousy and above all betrayal. How could they do this to me, without asking if it twas perfectly alright for them to do so in the first place, I thought to myself. I finally exhaled through my mouth, for as long as my lungs would allow, before I needed to inhale again.

I turned slightly to meet Elizabeth's sorrowful expression, to only grab hold of her hand and squeeze it tightly. "Tis alright sweetest sister, for you are quite right, why should everyone be disheartened by one wedding not taking place, when there is another already under way, besides it would seem a shame to waste the cake". I chuckled, making Elizabeth do the same. "What kind of cake did you ask for cook to make?". She asked me curiously. I smirked at her curiosity. "It twas a three layered fruit cake, covered in almond paste, decorated in the most delicate of edible sugar icing flowers, with a little figurine of the bride and groom adorned on top". I told her proudly. "Sounds scrumptious!". She beamed. "Yes and it tis all yours, if you wish to have it". I smiled back at her. "Call it a favourable wedding present from your little sister". I continued, Elizabeth said nothing other than engulf me into a hug, we both finally let go, when we heard someone clear their throat beside us. We both turned our attention to the figure and we both smiled brightly, when we saw it twas none other than father, standing with his hands behind his back, smiling at us both proudly.

"Ah there you two are, I've been looking everywhere for you both". Father paused suddenly and looked at our grinning faces suspiciously, before continuing. "What has you both grinning like Cheshire cats?". He asked. "Oh tis nothing father, we are just both excited about the wedding tis all". Elizabeth pipped up, as father looked at her and chuckled. "Very well". He replied, until his gaze fell upon me and his face turned from happiness, to worry and shock. "Good gracious darling, what on earth are you doing out here in your night dress, by heavens child you shall catch your death of cold". He said, as he took of his cloak and placed it around my shoulders, hugging me into his side to keep me warm.