SIX

SIX
Callie

I follow behind Everest until I'm standing right in front of Phoenix and Miller. They've moved to a slightly more secluded area of the party

Not many can see us because of the large pillar that blocks our view.

"You okay, Callie?" Miller stands up from the velvet chair and looks down at me with furrowed eyebrows.

"No."

His face falls.

"What's happened? Did someone hurt you?" He looks me over for any injuries but I shake my head. "Then what's wrong, love?"

"She thinks we're doing illegal business." Everest speaks up and I send him a glare.

"No, Everest. I know you're doing illegal business." I point and he raises his eyebrows at me. "Are you forgetting I've been to business parties with you before and none of them have ever been like this?" I look at all three of them.

Phoenix clenches his jaw.

Miller nibbles on his bottom lip.

Everest smirks.

"Sunshine. Our little sunshine." Everest wraps his arm around my shoulders and looks down at me with a wide smile.

I push him away.

"Don't touch me. I'm going home." I tell them.

"But I said I'd take you home, my love." Miller speaks up and I scoff.

"I'll make my own way home. See you all in the morning." I huff.

I turn and get ready to walk away but I'm stopped by Miller who grabs hold of my hand and looks down at me with a soft frown.

Why am I getting butterflies from his touch?!

I rip my hand away.

"Let me take you home at least, please." He whispers and I sigh but nod my head.

I walk in front of him and he trails close behind.

River spots me and her eyes widen once she sees Miller behind me. I roll my eyes when she smirks and makes a whole with her fingers on one hand and puts a finger through it with her other hand.

My breath hitches as soon as we step out of the building. The cold November weather bites at my skin and I find myself shivering.

I jump when I feel Miller place his suit jacket on my shoulders. I look up at him to see him smiling gently down at me.

My face softens and I mumble a small thanks to him as he opens the door for me. I climb into his car and put my seatbelt on.

Miller starts the car and a satisfied sigh escapes my lips when the seats begin to warm up.

"Cal?"

"Hmm."

"Do you trust us?" I look at him to see him nervously nibbling on his lip.

That's definitely a nervous habit of his.

"To a certain extent." I answer honestly. "But I don't trust you fully, I can't help but feel you three are hiding something from me."

Miller sighs but chooses not to answer me.

"I'm sorry that we've upset you." He whispers and I bite the insides of my cheek.

As soon as he arrives outside my home, I climb out of his car and turn to face him — he smiles.

"Goodnight, my love."

"Night, Miller." I close the door and make my way up to my flat.

He doesn't drive away until I'm safely in the building.

•••

It's pouring with rain the following morning as I enter the office building. I step into the lift and just as the door begins to close they open again.

John.

He steps in and stands on the other side of the lift — his hands behind his back as he stares ahead.

"Miss Greenwood." He greets and looks down at me with a small smile.

"John." I nod.

We then stand in an awkward silence.

As soon as we reach the floor I step out straight away but come to a stop when I see River at the reception desk talking to a very red faced Poppy.

"River!" Her head snaps to me and she steps back from Poppy holding her hands up in the air.

"Not guilty." She blurts and I roll my eyes.

She sends Poppy a wink before I grab her hand and lead her away from the not so single woman.

As soon as we enter my office I spin round to face the menacing woman.

"Poppy has a girlfriend." I tell her and River shrugs.

"I know that, Callie." This time she rolls her eyes and goes to take a seat at my desk.

I spin around ready to scold her but my eyes widen when I see the bouquet of sunflowers on my desk as well as the box of chocolates.

"Looks like your lovers want to apologise." She smirks at me and I bite my lip.

"They're my bosses not my lovers, River." I huff and walk over to my desk and rip open the box of chocolates.

I stuff a couple in my mouth and pass it to River who does the same.

"Why are you here?" I question after swallowing the food.

"Bored." I raise my eyebrows, not believing her. "Oh Lord, is that the time?! I must get going." She stands up, leaving a kiss on my cheek as she rushes out of my office.

I watch as she scurries down the corridor.

"Don't even bother flirting with Poppy!" I shout after her and she flips me off as she rounds the corner.

"Sunshine." I spin around and come face to chest with Everest.

"Yes?"

"Did you get our gifts?" I nod. "We're sorry for upsetting you."

"It's fine." I wave it off and he slowly nods his head. "I need to sort out your meetings for this evening."

"Do you want to work in our office?" He questions with hopefully eyes and my heart begins to race.

I know I wouldn't be able to concentrate if I was in the same room as them.

"Please." He whispers. "We want to speak with you as well."

Great now my heart is going to beat out of my chest as my anxiety builds.

"Come." He nods his head to their office and then holds his hand out for me.

A/N
💙