Chapter Eight

A/N: Thank you to the Pen State Homecoming page for giving me the idea of the Colour Run and other events that will be used throughout this story ^_^

Chapter Eight

I went to my first counselling session with Dr. Aurelius. He tried to trip me up, make me admit out loud that I tried to kill myself. It failed, obviously, for the simple reason that I didn't try to commit suicide. He asked me other things, like how I'm feeling and what has happened since he last saw me in hospital. I'm vague about everything as I don't believe it's any of his business what goes on in my personal life.

After the session, Dr. Aurelius tells my mother that he thinks I'm closed off because I refuse to admit to myself that I'm depressed. The man is obviously deluded, I don't know what else I can do to convince him that I'm not suicidal or depressed. The only thing I'm depressed about is the fact that the Homecoming Game is next week and I'm at a loss as to who I'm supposed to go with. I dumped Marvel shortly after the fight with Peeta as I don't want to be around someone who's so violently driven. I know Homecoming is usually about welcoming back students who left last year but it's still really important to get a date. It's about celebrating our school, not just giving the graduated students a pat on the back.

The Colour Run is this week. It's basically when the Cheerleaders and the Football jocks all adorn colourful clothing and do a run for charity. Ms. Trinket gave me an informal pardon due to my broken leg and I'm devastated that I don't get to do it. I had planned to wear this rainbow tie-dye boob tube that pushes my breasts up and a pair of small denim shorts. All while running beside Gale and constantly flirting to get his attention.

Instead, I am trapped in the side lines with Clove. She is pretty enthusiastic about these sorts of events and gets super into it, screaming encouragements and throwing confetti and water at whoever passes. At least we got a good day for the run, since it's pretty much been raining all week and this is the first time the sun has come out in what's felt like forever. I'm the only spectator sitting down, as apparently the teachers are uneasy about me standing too long in case I 'hurt myself' and they'll get the blame. Clove took to the idea more than I did, shaking my crutches at everyone who passes and telling them to pick up the pace.

It's when I see Glimmer that I immediately turn sour. She's wearing a skimpy camisole that displays her black bra and a mini-skirt so small I can see the curve of her ass cheeks from where I'm sitting. Who runs with a thong on anyway? But that's not what bothers me. She's wearing a lettermen jacket. Cheerleaders don't get lettermen jackets. So she must be wearing someone else's.

It's tradition for the footballers to give their girlfriends or people they want to take to the dance their lettermen jackets to wear. Gale must have given Glimmer his. The idea makes my blood boil and I clench my teeth angrily at the sight. He's really trying my patience. He obviously knows that Marvel and I's reunion bombed and is just pushing the success of his jealousy ploy into my face. Is Madge ever going to come back?

Speaking of Gale, he rushes up behind Glimmer and lifts her into the air. Glimmer squeals and throws her head back, laughing like a mouse whose tail has been stepped on. She kicks out while playfully hitting him and I swear to God I saw her gash up the legs of her shorts. Clove turns to me and mimes hurling up her lunch before turning back to the road and yelling, "Pick up the pace, Hawthorne, you're slacking!"

Gale laughs and puts Glimmer down, despite her disappointment. He spots me sitting and scowling and winks. I promptly flip him off in response. Then he's running towards me. I sit up straighter, wondering why he's coming over. Gale reaches over the barrier and grabs me by the waist, lifting me up and over and putting me on his shoulders. I scream in surprise and grab his hair for support.