[27] "Kade Fosters"

Start from the beginning

     Kade takes care of the seating and talking to the hostess. She seems really sweet but obviously new. Her nerves are obvious and I walk in front of Kade in an attempt to tamp down his intimidating presence. Soon enough, we settle into a small booth and I look over the menu, trying not to let my eyes bug out of my head at the prices.

     "Raven," Kade says, giving me a pointed look.

     "Huh?" I snap out of my concentration.

     "Are you gonna be okay?" he says.

     "What do you mean?" I respond.

     He gives a pointed look behind me and I try to turn as discreetly as possible to see what he thinks would upset me--

     I should've known.

     I'm a fool.

     Archer Cross and his probable date camp at a table just a few booths away from us. I try to make out who she is to see if I recognize her, but she's turned so far the opposite way that I can't see anything but her back.

     "What do you mean? I'm fine," I brush it off even though it stings.

     Fool me once, shame on you, Archer Cross. Fool me twice? Well, I have no one to blame but myself for letting this happen again.

     I order a water and the classic fettuccine alfredo as I make happy conversation with Kade, who seems to be truly sweet and genuine. The server stops by to check on our drinks and grab a refill for me, and we continue our stories and sharing memories. Archer's completely at the back of my head.

     "You never got your refill," Kade states rather than asks.

     "Yeah, but it's okay, I'm sure they're busy," I brush it off.

     "No, no, no, they should be better than that. I'm gonna mention something," he tsks.

     "Please don't. It's not that big of a deal I swear," I say, the thought of confrontation making me anxious.

     Kade waves over the nervous hostess from earlier and the tension in her body is visible.

     "Where's our server? Grab your manager as I'd like a word," he snaps, a bit too loudly for my taste.

     The host shakes her head and just about runs away to meet his request. The complete and utter disrespect makes my skin crawl and a pinch of irritation makes it's way into my demeanor.

     "That was uncalled for," I mutter.

     "These people get tipped for their income. I seriously doubt he wants to fuck this up. It's not hard to do your job--it's the same damn thing all day. How incompetent can you be?" he laughs.

     I open my mouth in shock. How did I not realize he was such a snob? I worked in the food industry for years...it's harder than it looks.

     "I-I have to disagree," I say, irritation making me bold.

     "What do you mean? You could be working a steady, grown-up job, or this inconsistent one, and people choose to work in food? Not smart in my opinion. Only fools choose the bottom of the food chain and make their money this way," he says.

     I pause for a second, mood ruined.

     "I worked in food," I say, blankly staring at him.

     "Oh, shit, Raven-I-why didn't you tell me? I wouldn't-"

     "Oh, no. I think you were completely honest...I also think we're done here. Excuse me," I quietly stand and place a few bills to cover my meal on the table and discreetly make my way to the bathroom in hopes that he'll leave.

     If I went to the door, the chances of him following me out and making a scene would probably have me wishing I could sink into the concrete. I perch by the sink and sigh in relief at the lost tension. That was a total fail. I remind myself this is why I don't date.

     Rich people and their god complexes.

     The door flings open and my heart just about punches it's way out of my chest. I turn to see a flash of plaid and recognize the pattern from Archer's date's outfit. As soon as I meet her eyes, though, I realize I've misplaced my judgements.

     "Raven Micheals it is so good to see you!" she comes in for a hug.

     On autopilot, I instinctively hug her back and get over my shock and...relief?

     "I heard you were back! How have you been, Annie?" I ask, excited to see the one Cross that was kind to me.

"Just taking a little breather to be home! It feels good," she says with a smile.

She pauses and takes a look at me for a second.

"You don't look happy though...what's going on?" she asks.

"Um, well, I'm currently on a date but he was rude to the staff so I slapped some money down and said it was over," I rush out.

She waits a minute before bursting out laughing, "Oh my god, no you didn't! Shut up, that's the best thing I've heard all day."

Her laughter is contagious and I join in the ridiculousness of it all.

"Wait, you went on a date? I thought you and Archer went out-Raven you little player! I love to see it-totally fuck with your new energy," she says.

"The player days of Raven Micheals are short-lived. I'm done with men," I say lightheartedly.

"Hey, you could always swing the other way and try your luck," she gives a mischievous grin.

I laugh at her antics as she steps into one of the stalls and I call back that I'll see her around. I figure it's enough time for Kade to leave and I'm safe to leave the comfort of the bathroom.

Except I'm totally wrong.

It's not Kade outside the doors, but Archer.

"Oh, hey," I say, gulping down my sudden nervousness.

"Raven? What are you-oh," he says.

"The date was a total train wreck," I sigh.

"Bad for you, good for me," he laughs.

I have the sudden urge to laugh at the craziness of having a completely casual, friendly conversation with Archer. His face gets more serious and I sober up.

     "Are you okay?" he asks.

     "Yeah," I respond.

     "Good, because if-"

     "Alright, Arch, let's blow this popsicle stand," says Annie as she bursts out of the bathroom.

     He gives her a look complete with an eye roll and she laughs as they head out--not without a little wave behind her to me as well. I sigh and make my way to the front as well when I realize with a sinking thought I'll be walking home.

     "Well, it could be worse," I sigh.

• • •

This has taken forever I'm well aware and SO SORRY. Thanks to everyone still following this story I love you all

Jasmine Croft xo