Should I Stay or Should I Go?

The next day I called Richie. I wanted to extend my loan to Arsenal for the rest of my contract with the Spirit.

"This is Richie Burke."

"Hi, this is London Adair," I say with faux confidence.

"Hi, London. What can I do for you?"

"I wanted to speak with you about extending my contract to Arsenal," I tell him. Jackie and Merel are watching from the chairs next to me.

"Your contract with us expires at the end of this season."

"I'm aware."

"I would like to keep you in Washington for the remainder of your contract, London."

"Being at Arsenal is what's best for my career," I said, ignoring his increasingly harsh tone.

"Being scouted for the National Team would be easier in the U.S."

"Listen, Richie, I don't want to play for you. So if we could just extend-"

"I'm looking at it from a business perspective London. We need you to finish out your contract with us."

"Seriously? You let me go on a loan months ago, what changed?"

"It is going to benefit the team as a whole to have you back London," He says.

"Then end my contract right now. Either you do it or I have my agent discuss it with you. I'm not coming back to Washington Richie."

"We can discuss this when you-"

"No. The WSl and NWSL schedules are not the same. I need to know now if I need to get my agent involved because I have every intention of playing in the match on the sixth of January." Jackie gives me a thumbs up while Merel nods as they listen to the one-sided phone call.

"Do Arsenal want to extend your loan?"

"Yes. I spoke with them before I left."

"Seems like you knew before talking with me then. Might as well let you go if you can't be honest with me."

"That's bullshit and you know it," I say my voice only wavering a little.

"Arsenal wanting to extend your contract is a surprise. We can terminate your contract, you'll be a free agent, see if they actually want you on the team long-term."

"Great. Goodbye." I hung up the phone and put my hands over my face. "He is actually the worst."

"I can tell," Merel says sipping water.

"I'll just email Joe that my contract with the Spirit is over then."

January 2, 2019

10:15 p.m.

Jackie and I had just landed in Manchester and I still had to drive back to London. We put our bags in the boot of her car and she drives us back to her house.

"Just stay the night Elsje, there's no point in driving back tonight," Jackie says turning down the radio.

"No, I like driving at night anyway. Besides I have things to get done tomorrow," I respond. I have to meet with Joe to sign a contract and then we've got training since we have a match in four days. I also may have deliberately not mentioned I was staying with any of the girls.

"Fine. Just drive safe okay?" She sighs pulling into the driveway.

"Of course! See you later Jackie! Love you," I say hugging her once we're out of the car. I transfer my bag from the boot of her car to the boot of mine and turn the car on. I wave to her one last time before pulling out of the driveway and pulling up the GPS to my house.

I finally pull into the car park for our flat at two-thirty in the morning. I grab my suitcase and make sure I have my key before heading up the stairs to our flat. I try to unlock the door as quietly as I can and wince as the door creaks seemingly louder than usual. I use my phone as a light and put my shoes by the door before continuing to my room. I open the door and shut it before turning on the light and setting my suitcase down in my closet. I turn a lamp on so I can shut the main light off and start getting changed and ready for bed. I have no idea why we chose such a late flight back home. It's almost three by the time I get in bed and shut the lights out. I close my eyes and am asleep before my head hits the pillow.

"She's back!"

"Of course she's back, the American League doesn't start until later and all of her stuff is here."

"You think she's staying?"

"Hopefully."

"You guys are going to wake her up."

I slowly open my eyes due to the full conversation being had in my room and see Beth and Jill standing farther in my room while Daan is leaning against the door frame.

"What time is it?" I ask my voice cracking from just waking up.

"Ten-thirty. Training's at one. Are you coming?" Jill asks pointedly. 

"Yeah, I've got to speak with Joe."

"Staying or leaving?" She asks. I look closer at her face and see she's shut me out more from when I last saw her. Like she doesn't trust me to have access to what she's feeling. I used to- I do the same thing.

"That's up to Joe," I say looking Jill in the eyes.

"And what do you want?"

"Stay."

Bit of a shorter chapter but it seemed like a good ending point. Also Katie just keeps scoring bangers and I'm here for it! Let me know what you guys think, I read all of your comments and really appreciate y'all's support!

-rose x

You can't Outrun the TruthOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara