thirty three : a blast from the past, anyone?

THERE WAS ALMOST NO LIFE LEFT IN THE BODY OF ELAINE SERALYNN MAXIMOFF. It had been approximately ten minutes ago that 2014 Thanos had rained rockets and missiles and alien firepower down on the compound. When Elaine opened her eyes, she immediately felt pain. A white hot pain that continued to hack at her like a knife.

One arm was lying limp on the ground next to her, and the other was resting on her chest. There was an emptiness in her, a hopeless feeling as she coughed up her own blood. Nobody was around, not that she could see, anyway. But, there was a glowing light coming from her left, making Elaine turn her head to the circle of sparks, and people walking out of it.

One person caught her eye. It was like her life was complete.

"Bucky," She gasped for air, coughing out more blood. The sounds made Bucky turn his head to see Elaine crushed under a rock, and blood covering her lips and cheek. He sprinted over to the redhead and fell to his knees, dropping his gun and cupping her cheek.

"Hey, hey just stay with me. Hold on, okay?" He whispered to her, wondering why she hadn't used her power to blast the rock off of her.

It was like she read his mind. "The b-bracelet.." She coughed again, slowly lifting her forearm up from the ground. Bucky gently grabbed her wrist, looking at the object. "It's vibranium. You can't break it, Bucky. I need the key."

Bucky immediately lost hope, his eyes watering. "You can't.. Elaine, no."

Elaine sadly smiled, tears rolling down her face. "I still need to tell— tell you what I was going to s-say in Wakanda."

Bucky shook his head. "I already know what you were going to tell me. So you need to stop."

"It was in Wakanda." She continued anyway. "When I was training. That— That's when I knew I loved you. And I do, I love you."

Bucky let his tears fall down and onto the dirt below him. "Please, don't."

"Y-you - don't have to— to say it back. Not until you - you figure out how - to love your— yourself first." She smiled, coughing.

Bucky shook his head and brushed her hair out of her face to clearly look at her. The red hair that was covered in dust, her dark brown eyes that were slowly being drained of life, but none of that took away from her beauty. It didn't take away from the face that this was Elaine. Everything that Bucky cared for was in front of him.

Dipping his head down, Bucky's lips slowly met Elaine's. The touch of their skin made Elaine feel like she could breath again. He was her oxygen. She let him in on her darkness, on that story that would never be told, like she could warn him of all that lurked beneath the surface of her skin. Elaine kissed him like he was her lifeline, and in many ways that she didn't quite understand yet, he was.

Elaine just gave him everything—all without words. There was no need. But that one kiss made Elaine realize she still had a light in her darkness. She always did. When their lips parted, Elaine could feel her energy slowly coming back.

As her body began healing due to her power, she writhed under the rock, her back arching and a scream escaping her. Her body suddenly lurched into the air like an actual angel, her powers becoming too powerful and breaking the vibranium bracelet, as well as disintegrating the mountain rock on top of her. She slowly lowered onto the ground, and wiped the blood from her face, spitting out the leftover blood in her mouth.