Chapter 24

Adrien's constant insecurity and anxieties of her safety began to weigh on Marinette Agreste. She was going to have to convince him that everything was fine. However, she knew that was going to be a challenge. If their roles were flipped, it would definitely be difficult to ease or even subdue her fears. On top of that, her partner was stubborn. Maybe not as much as her, but he still was.That also depended on the subject, yet nonetheless. However, she was determined to help him. So, at any sudden moment whenever she had the opportunity, Marinette made sure to make a show of her skills.The pair was waiting on further instruction from Master Fu at this time, and as a result much of their time went to tourism. Thankfully,that gave her more time to straighten out her husband. It would be a struggle to handle the operation and her partner simultaneously. Why their boss hadn't gotten back to them sooner was honestly a bit strange, and the longer that time went on it began to weigh on both her and Adrien. Another day or so went by without a word. Adrien obviously still cautious of every little thing, but he was a bit better now that he was adjusted to his surroundings. Where had her gentle and lively husband gone these days? It was almost like he shut down and shifted into an alert overdrive. He was no longer the predator but the prey. If he couldn't shape up, he'd eventually fall victim to his greatest fears. However, things started to look as if they were about to change one afternoon while they were laying around on the couch in their hotel room. There they were, Marinette splayed out atop of her husband, his hand on her back the other on her elbow, the two of them soaking up the sunshine that filtered through the windows. Their peace was shattered when Adrien's phone began to buzz.Both adults stirred and maneuvered to get up.

"Who could that be?"

"You've got to be kidding me....." Adrien shot up into a seated position, forcing Mari to as well. He then leaned forward over his knees and squinted at the caller id, as if to check that it was correct.

"What?"

"Now he calls us!?"

"Who?" Her partner only gave her a look. His narrowed eyes communicating that he was a bit disappointed in her slow up-take.

"Master Fu...."He finally answered, tapping the accept button and putting the device up to his ear. Now it was Marinette's turn to jump to attention.Finally! Some instruction on what to do next. "Hello?" The anticipation was overwhelming as Mari waited to hear what it was that their boss had to say. "Yes we did......Mhm....Yes sir." The woman couldn't take it! What were they discussing. Desperate to understand the situation, Marinette tapped on her husband's shoulder.A glimpse of green appeared in the corner of his eye as he peeked at her. "Yeah. Hold on just a sec." Adrien removed the phone from his ear and set it to speaker, before placing it down on the coffee table in front of them. "Okay, sorry. What was that?"

"I need you and Ladybug to get started on this next mission. I apologize for the wait, but I had to make sure everything was in place and ready to move forward. I'll send the current status of the mission to you once we wrap up this conversation."

"Sounds good."

"Very good. Now,if you don't mind Chat Noir, I'd like to speak with Ladybug privately." Huh? Master Fu wanted to talk to her? About what?

"Uh....sure.....?"Mari could feel Adrien's uneasiness as he got up off the cushions. To be honest she was just as unsteady as he was. Had she done something wrong? Marinette couldn't recall doing anything incorrectly. Once Adrien stepped out of the room, Mari prepped herself for what would possibly come her way.

"Don't worry Ladybug. You haven't done anything wrong. I merely wanted to discuss with you the idea of a promotion."

"Wha...."