Chapter 5

It had been a while since Adrien had driven at such speeds in an automobile that wasn't his own black Aston martin with a dark green stripe down the center. At least they had a car at this moment. To be the objective in a car chase was not on his list of to dos today, but here he was speeding through an airfield and smashing through their security gate. They had three other cars riding up their bumper, okay not that close, but in a stressful situation that's what it felt like. The high-speed pursuit blasted along the highway, eventually taking them all into the city. Hopefully here, there would be more places to lose whoever these guys were. Beside him, Marinette held her breath. Normally, when he drove everything was smooth and easy going, but in a car chase you didn't want to be in the passenger seat of his car. However, being in the passenger seat when his wife drove, was way worse in this type of predicament. His mind was reeling. There was so much that had happened in the last few minutes that needed to be discussed, plus driving!

"Adrien!" Marinette's voice revived him from his whirling thoughts. They could have those discussions later, right now he needed to focus on getting them to safety. Which, coincidentally, was one of the things they had to talk about later. The car jostled as Adrien forced it to drift across an intersection to make a left turn, the other three cars easily doing just the same. Surely, these guys didn't have that much experience in high-speed car chases. Perhaps they had, because when the four vehicles flew by the people hardly blinked an eye, continuing about their business as if nothing had happened. Which Adrien found a bit bizarre. "Go right!" Marinette directed.

"What!?"

"Trust me!" She responded curling her legs under her before turning her head to look out the window again. Adrien followed her instructions, clearly, she had thought up some sort of plan. The wind rushed into the vehicle as Mari rolled her window down and lifted her skirt to release her yoyo from around her leg. Distraction galore! Eyes on the road! Eyes on the road! Adrien repeated to himself a couple times. Any attention that he would be giving to his wife, would just be his listening ears. If he didn't pay attention, he could likely kill them both, at which he definitely wouldn't get to see her again. Escape first, wife second, mission third. Escape first, wife second, mission third. Why was he having such a hard time with his focus today!? "Keep it steady!"

"What are you doing!?" Adrien called to his wife as she was now sticking half-way out the passenger window.

"Turn right, now!"

"As you wish!" Adrien single-handedly spun the wheel to the right. The car drifted sharply and drove straight down a dark narrow alleyway. At the end of the alley, Adrien saw a turn that would be impossible to make. There was no way at this speed, that he could drift to make that right. "Uh......Princess!?" The wall approached rapidly; they were going to crash.

"Hang on!" His wife yelled from outside the car. Adrien heard the zip of her yoyo and the car nearly flipped as it took the corner. Falling back down on all four wheels, the car continued on. Marinette climbed back in through her window, and aggressively plopped down into her seat. "You sure you want to keep referring to me as Princess? I'm no damsel in distress." She teased, a smug grin on her face as she bent toward him.

"Mm, you'll always be my Princess." Adrien replied with a smile before leaning in and placing a tender kiss to her lips. Pulling away, they smiled. Yeah, that was sweet and refreshing after the past few moments. Suddenly, a crash erupted behind them. Simultaneously, the couple turned their eyes to peer out the rearview window. One of the cars that had been chasing them, smashed into the wall. Hopefully, that would stop the other two behind him. When Adrien turned his eyes back to the front, he confidently made a right turn back out onto the main street. When reality returned to him, he nearly had a panic attack. With a gasp, Adrien twisted in his chair and slammed on the brake. The car stopped hard, sending Mari's side into the dashboard.