44. babies are like dogs

Start from the beginning

"Here." JJ leaned down and placed the shirt in her arms as she quieted down. He smiled as his face was close to hers then placed a bunch of wet kisses all over her face. She squirmed and tried to pull her face away from his. JJ chuckled and stood back up, "Likes my shirt but not me. I see, Rivvy, I see."

Avie laughed at him then kissed Riv's head, "Your daddy is weird."

John B rolled his eyes, "This is weird."

"Why you even in here?" JJ asked and pulled boxers up under his towel before letting it fall. He slipped his sweatpants on.

"Just talking to Aves before about you dropping."

"Ah," JJ threw a white t-shirt over his head, "I am a working father now."

"You're ridiculous." Avie rolled her eyes.

"What is your plan, JJ?" John B placed his hands on his hips.

"Yeah, I'd love to hear this." Avie turned Riv onto her chest and rubbed her back through JJ's shirt that covered her.

"Hm, my plan.." JJ picked up his towel and threw it into a corner of dirty clothes, "My plan right now is to make enough money to get us a place to live. Now that Avie's not living at her parent's anymore."

"I'm not?"

"She's not?"

"Alright, let's see." He sat next to Avie on the bed and pressed his fingers together, "They're never letting me step foot in there again, you don't want to be alone with Riv most the time...you stayin' there or comin' with me?" JJ asked as he raised an eyebrow at her.

"That's not fair, JJ." Avie looked at him through her eyebrows.

"Not fair to who!? I'd say me considering I'd barely see her if you stayed there. C'mon, baby, you even told your mom you're not stayin' there without me."

John B nodded, "He's got a point. Though he doesn't have a plan, he is right. Shouldn't be alone during this. It's also not fair to JJ."

Avie sighed, "That's true; you're right."

"You're seriously gonna save up enough money for your own place?" John B questioned his friend who had never been stable until he had a daughter. Even then he wasn't entirely stable. Clearly.

"Yeah!" JJ said confidently then looked at his daughter who rested peacefully on her mother's chest. Her eyes were still open but he could see she was sleepy. He tilted his head to the side in awe then continued to speak as he stared at her, "When it comes to her, I need to give her everything I can." He looked at Avie, "And that means a safe place to live."

Avie and John B knew that JJ had a history of fighting with people and that included his own father. They all knew where he lived, John B and even where Avie lived. Avie did not want Riv to have to grow up in a place where there were bad memories and lingering brawls.

"Better start saving, buddy." John B patted JJ's back and exited the room as Avie nodded at his words. Little did they know JJ had been saving since the moment they decided to keep the baby.

"J, you can't get us a place on our own. I'd need to go back to work, too and I can't do that yet." Avie told him.

JJ shook his head, "No, baby, don't worry. Stay with Riv as long as you need." He rubbed the baby's back as her eyes shut from relaxation, "I've got you guys covered for a while."

Avie's face softened as she placed her hand on JJ's thigh, "You're amazing, J." She looked into his eyes with pure amazement. Though she did want to return to The Brew eventually, she wanted time to let her body heal and give Riv all the bonding she could, as she knew this wouldn't last forever. She felt so grateful that JJ wanted the same for her.