Chapter 38 Lyons, Colorado - Vali

"That means he's here," I say, staring down the road that never led to anywhere. I swear it still smells of ash. But then I can still hear the screams of the dead. So I might be crazy. But it's a good kind of crazy. The sort of crazy that doesn't let the atrocities of the past die for the glimmer of the future. "But you knew that didn't you?"

"Girls, stay back, no matter what," Arthur says, wiping blood from his face, "There are about to be a lot of police."

"Who's here?" Brigit asks, "My dad?"

"Yes, let us handle him, your mother's here as well, we'll send her to you," Arthur says.

"Stay by the car," I tell them, as Arthur and I get out and of course the kids follow.

"We can help," Luna says. She can't make good decisions. I like her.

"You can help by staying safe," I say, "If fire comes you can stop it with a force field, not for long, but it can let Brigit warp you to safety."

"A what now?" the three girls are staring at me.

"Told you you're the only one who can do that," Arthur says, patting my shoulder.

"Bind the air together as hard as you can, with as much energy you can force into it," I say, creating a field around one hand then wrapping it around Luna's, "Feel? It's not complicated. if I can do it you can certainly."

"Where's my mom?" Brigit asks the telepaths.

"I'll send her to you," Arthur says, tossing the keys to the girls.

"I want to help," Baby mumbles. She fell asleep after a sugar crash.

"You can, by staying with your sisters," I say, over my shoulder, as I follow Arthur down the street, "We've got unfinished business."