Chapter 25 Somewhere in New York-14 years earlier - Sam

"Can you really go back in memories?" that's why they brought us here. I know. It's cause of him. They want to test his brain some more. He doesn't show them everything he can do. But he plays along. That's why they took us all this way. More advanced machines to strap to his head. They shaved off all his hair to do it. That was detrimental to a lot of razors because they scared him and he cried. It took them like five pairs of razors to figure out I was doing it. Incidentally, that's why I'm here. Because he generally acts up when I'm not and it's not good if the telepath acts up; people tend to start having seizures. They separated us the other night and he had a nightmare and three people had ten minute seizures. Now I get to stay in his room with him. That's what they do in Lyons, for that reason, and they didn't believe them.

Angel is here because Angel is psychotic and can't make good decisions. Arthur tends to be able to persuade him to make less idiotic decisions like, for example the last one he was talked out of was let's escape and raze New York. Aurora is always the bargaining chip for that. That's wearing thin, I think he's going through withdrawals. Of course the great 'they' don't know that Arthur's talking him out of it due to his girlfriend specifically, but they do know his escape attempts have lessened since he's been with us. Not extinguished, lessened. He's currently in two straight jackets with five guards at his door because he though he'd just warp on out of here and into an electric fence, yeah, the electric fence wasn't part of his non-plan.

"Like you can search through people's minds to see old stuff?" I ask, nudging Arthur a little. I'm allowed to be in his room so he won't have nightmares and accidently almost (or completely) kill people. We haven't seen a couple of the guards again. Angel was all happy and trying to high-five Arthur and he started crying. Anyway.

"Yeah," Arthur says, quietly, snuggled up against me. We were not given two beds, which is fine we wouldn't use them. We are cuddled under the one blanket they gave us, my head resting on his poor shaved one. They keep it cold in here due to Angel and his heat manipulation. That's fine, I don't mind snuggling Arthur's warm little body all night.

"Like, you could go back and find out what Aurora finds attractive about Angel?" I ask, trying to make him laugh. He hates the tests and the stuff they have him do it makes him really sad and scared.

"Her parents are kind of mean. And so she's used to callous and he's not really rude to her," Arthur answers, quietly, not laughing. He's probably known that for a while. We do talk about Aurora because they don't record our cells and also they have no way of knowing who she is anyway. "I talked to her yesterday, she says she's fine."

"Did you tell the moron?" I ask.

"Yeah," he says.

"That's why you were bleeding huh?"

"Yeah."

We are quiet for a moment. I know he's worn out, but frankly I'm bored after all day of just sitting in my cell with one bouncy ball to entertain me. Oh, Angel was there was well but he was brooding and muttering and wanting to break out. I reasoned that it's better to break out in Lyons closer to Aurora. He had to agree with that.

"If you can look through memories, do you think you can see stuff people can't remember?" I ask.

"Like your parents you mean," he says, rolling over a little to talk to me.

"Yeah," I say, quietly.

I could.

"You've done stuff like that?"

to practice. They don't know I can. I don't want them to. They had me do awful stuff today anyway.

"Like what?"